Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

I am running XP Home and have been ever since it came out. I have been very happy with it. Never have seen a BSOD. But in the last couple of days half of the things I try to do end up with a dead window which, when I click Close tells me "Program Not Responding" and presents an "End Task" button.

I have lots of icons and shortcuts on my desktop. I have room for maybe a dozen more. I have 3 hard drives and have a shortcut for each one of them (C, D & E), which I dragged out from My Computer. I have never had any trouble accessing the contents of any of them until recently. Now I can't open 2 of them at the same time without one of them "Not Responding". and sometimes when the only thing I have open is one of the Hard Drives, as often as not it will "Not Respond". After I Close it and reOpen it, it will work fine.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to fix it? Or what do you suggest I do to fix it?
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

If you have not run checkdisk and defragged recently, that would be my first step.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

Another thing you could do is note the time, recreate the hang, then look at your system and application logs for warnings or errors (at around that time you noted earlier):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users