Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Media Via Disc Has Constant Graphical And Audio Glitches

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

Whenever I put in a dvd or cd, I get graphical and audio glitches. If the media has a visual, it will seem as if the video is lagging, and speech will be like this: "h-e-e-e-l-l-lo m-m-y na-m-m-e-e-e i-i-i-s-s s-s-o-ola-r-r-i-i-s-s.". It barely affects the playback speed, it's just the frames jump and so does the sound. This effect is mainly seen through video. If I listen to music directly off the cd, I get very slight, yet still annoying, audio glitches too. This does not affect music or videos already saved on my laptop, so I'm pretty sure it's my dvd drive. This had to have happened fairly recently because a few days ago I copied some music cd's to my laptop and I did not have these problems.

I have no idea whatsoever how to diagnose this problem. I have run virus scans, defragged, manually cleaned the laser eye thing (with no effect), and used one of those dvd cleaner discs. My drivers are also all up to date according to the "device manager". Please help!

Edited by solaris32, 17 August 2007 - 09:54 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:19 PM

Here are some general checks, just in case:

If you have not already, check the optical drive jumpers, make sure the optical drives are on the secondary ide channel, and not hooked up to the same channel as the hdd. ensure that you have the drives set to master slave or cable select and cable select. I have seen problems like your when the drives are set as cable select and master or slave. Go into the bios and re detect the optical drives. Unfortunately, I cant remember which mode you need as I am running SCSI, If I remember correctly you should be using UDMA> or PIO Mode 4.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

About the only thing I understood was "go into the bios" :\. Sorry.

Am going to try a system restore from a few days ago. If that works, I will backtrack my progress and see if I can find what has caused this. All I have done today is install a few games. I doubt that affected whatever it was you were talking about that might be wrong.

Edited by solaris32, 17 August 2007 - 10:22 PM.

#4 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

Yes! System restore worked! Which means it was one of the games I installed and/or the patches I downloaded off the internet for those games. I cannot check which one at this time, but hopefully in the next 24 hours I will be able to.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:38 PM

No Problem. If what you are trying does not work, PM me and I will follow up in this thread.
You could also try uninstalling the games and then re installing to see if one of them is causing the problem.

Edited by oldf@rt, 17 August 2007 - 10:38 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

I will attempt to track down from which game/patch this problem came in the next 24 hours, and I will post the results here. Thanks for taking the time to post and help me :thumbsup:.

Edited by solaris32, 17 August 2007 - 10:41 PM.

#7 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:40 AM

Hmm, I have reinstalled both those games and the subsequent patches, testing the audio and video with a dvd after each install, and I have found no abnormalities. Upon recollection, I think the problem I was facing had something to do with the way I downloaded one of those patches. It made me download a client type thing, then it downloaded the patch. The patch worked though, but I think it might have messed with my computer somehow. In any case, I don't currently have the problem. Should it develop, I will post again here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users