Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Switching Users

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 technophobe

technophobe

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

XP home SP2 all up to date with windows update
spybot
Surer Antispyware
AVG free
spyware blaster

Hi Guys.
I have recently introduced 4 new user profiles to my PC, it will usually log into the first user with out a problem but if I try to switch users or log out and back in as someone else Explorer doesnt seem to finish loading.
It just seems to freeze with no icons in the task bar.
If I bring up task Manager it says 33 running process but only 4 are visable :thumbsup: Explorer.exe is included in the 4 but it will not end task and if I try to run Explorer.exe again nothing happens.
So I try to log off through Task manager and I just get a black screen and have to do a hard shutdown.

I have run all my maleware programs
sfc /scannow
and chkdsk
Can you think of anything else i can try
BTW I am just recovering from a backdoor Trojan, all clean now thanks to Buddy in the antivirus forum.
would there be temp files or services running that shouldnt be left behind by the trojan ?

Thanks for any advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:18 AM

OK dont worry Guys, I know it was a strange problem, maybe my PC just isnt powerfull enough to handle more than 1 user, so I have now deleted the other log in names, it was just too much of a headache.
Now I am just left with my name there.
Now, how do I get into my account without having to click on my name (hope yopu know what I mean)
I just want the pc to boot to my desktop like it used to without me clicking on my name.
Thanks.

#3 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:49 AM

:inlove: Click start.
:trumpet: Go to Control Panel.
:flowers: In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
:cool: Click on your user.
:) Click on Remove My Password.
:thumbsup: Type in your current password then click apply.
:P This should work the next time you start your computer, but remember it will only work if your the MAIN administrator on the computer.
:) Turn off the guest user account.

#4 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:33 AM

Thanks Cozy, that did work (sort of)
I still have to click on my Name to get to my desktop but it doesnt ask for my password any more.
Thank mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users