Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Keeps Right On Sending!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hayride2

hayride2

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

I have a friend that has a strange problem with her computer. It is a Dell, I believe a 2.? gig. She is running XP Home. Recently when she sends an email it will stay in the outbox and just keep sending itself over and over until she goes into the outbox and deletes it. She is using Outlook Express 6. She can't upgrade because she has a voice program (she is blind) that won't accept anything but version 6 right now. I tried to go to Microsoft and re-download IE 6 in case there was something in Outlook that got corrupted but it won't as it says she has a newer version (6. something).

I know that isn't a lot in detail but I'm trying to do this by memory. I sure would like to help her get it fixed. Has anyone else ever experienced this? We need HELP!!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 August 2007 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

You might try this. Go into her OE identity and find the Outbox.dbx file. Delete it. When she opens OE again, it will re-create a new Outbox.dbx. If she wants to play it safe, save a copy of the original (or keep it in the recycle bin) in case she needs to put the original one back.

I used to clean out my OE regularly this way instead of using compression, which could cause problems in older versions of OE. In fact, you can delete all the .dbx files... Sent, Inbox, Deleted, Drafts, etc.... All of the except the Folders.dbx. Don't ever delete that one. (if there are any emails in the folders she wants to save, move them first to another folder she can create for saving them.)

Btw, those files continue to grow in size even after you "delete" your emails. They are never really gone until you actually delete the .dbx file.

She will have to check "Show hidden files and folders" in Tools/Options to find her OE Identity.

C:\Documents and Settings\HerName\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{********-****-478A-8652-************}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The Store Identity (with the *****) will be different on her computer.

#3 hayride2

hayride2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

Thank you for the help, I will try it Wednesday when I go back over there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users