Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing web images

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 quandary

quandary

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:44 AM

I know this is a long message, but I am trying to give a "clear picture" here.

I can't view certain pictures or their image download placeholders on my notebook computer. They all show up on both of my desktop computers.

I went through all the options in Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2, 128-bit, via TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - ADVANCED.

The options to "show pictures" and "show image download placeholders" are both checked. The images or their image placeholders don't show up.

The problem occurs for one graphic on my homepage and all the banners for my link partners on all my websites.

Example: There is a banner for encaustic art that I see when working on either desktop, listed here:

http://www.3dfoilart.com/links/waxart.html

It doesn't show up on the notebook, ever.

Another example:

On the below page, the "dolly's tints and dyes antique advertising art print" photo does not appear when viewing from my notebook. It's on the right-hand side about halfway down, just below the words "acrylic dress form" (which, btw, does not have a photo yet).

http://www.alldressforms.com/

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quandary

quandary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:46 AM

Here is yet another example, that I just came across and it is not on my website:

http://www.team-schuman.com/7searchkeywordtool

On my desktop, the above shows a solid orange box with black letters to enter so that you can view the info.

My notebook doesn't do that, however I noticed the graphics placeholder appear and disappear very quickly on my notebook. I reloaded the above page several times and still only saw the placeholder.

I have cookies enabled and pop-up blockers disabled for this site and mine on my notebook.

Anything now?

#3 quandary

quandary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

I'm still hoping someone can figure this out. I keep adding info in case there's a clue.

When I viewed my question in here Google's ads did not show up until I "allowed popups".

I thought that would fix the problem but it only worked for the Google ads, not for the problems with graphics on other sites.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

There are many causes of this happening, the more common one being a problem with the coding of the webpage itself. However, there are some things you can try:

1. Clear the internet cache in IE.
IE> Tools> Internet options> General> Delete files and Delete offline content.
2. Empty your temporary files (use the disk cleanup utility in Windows for this).
3. Repair IE.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
Here is another MS Help and Support article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807
4. Other problems may be caused by not having Flash, JRE, or ActiveX updated.
Hope this helps,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 quandary

quandary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, John! I will try all of this and post the results.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:57 PM

Please do. These are just general steps you can try on your own. If they do not solve the problem, then post back and we can try other approaches.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 quandary

quandary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

I installed JRE for Windows which apparently disappeared after sending this notebook to the repair center. This fixed the problem of not seeing the random security codes you have to enter to access some sites or confirm your information before proceeding (like in the team-schuman site I listed previously.)

So, in order to do this, I disabled my firewall and antivirus software and installed the J2SE Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

The second problem of one specific image being missing still existed, so I moved it to another section of my site and now it's showing up on the notebook.

My computers are set to run disk cleanup with every boot up, so I had already been doing that and clearing all the cache, temporary files including offline files and the cookies, since I do that daily.

I'm all set ... until next time! Thanks very much for the help!

#8 quandary

quandary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:31 AM

Please do. These are just general steps you can try on your own. If they do not solve the problem, then post back and we can try other approaches.
Regards,
John

Hi, John,

It turns out that EZ Firewall (Computer Associates proprietary software for TW Roadrunner) thinks the animation on my site is an ad. I disabled "ad blocking" and now the animation works and the image that was missing is back.

Is it normal for firewall software to create these problems? What's the good of blocking ads if the firewall doesn't know what is NOT an ad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users