Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dns Is Intermittent

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TJMax

TJMax

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

I'm having a VERY bizarre problem with my internet connection: While my modem is syncing up 100% of the time and both my router and my computer's NIC (if connected directly) can pull an IP address just fine, every 90 minutes or so DNS will stop resolving for about ten minutes at a time. This has been going on for about a month now. I can't ping domain names when this happens, but then again pinging IP addresses doesn't work during these downtimes either.

As if this isn't unusual enough, it gets worse: If I connect my modem directly to my computer's NIC during these down periods, I can't connect at all. If I'm behind my router, resetting the router will cause DNS to start resolving again for 10-20 seconds. After this started I tried switching to free DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220) but this changes nothing. The router trick worked before and after I had the router switch to the alternate DNS server.

My ISP is Cox, and while I believe they support this issue at the Tier 2 level (the DNS, not the router, and that's as long as you're not a fast connect in the first 30 days) hold times have been long when I called and I want to see if I can resolve this on my own (with you guys'/ladies' help of course :thumbsup: ).

Thanks!

--T.J.

P.S.--When being the router, my other computer on the wireless can't connect during the downtimes either, and the router reset thing works for the wireless computer as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hi TJMax,

Did you make any changes to your system around the time this started happening?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

No big changes to the system, though right after the first time it happened I restored the last known good configuration to no avail. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

--T.J.

Edited by TJMax, 20 August 2007 - 07:57 PM.

#4 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

Update: After several weeks, the problem seems to have gone away on its own. Maybe other people on my node had the same problem, and Cox resolved it at the Tier 2.5 or 3 level. Who knows...

--T.J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users