Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions that have been bugging me for a while.
First is, I have a HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop with a ATI Radeon XPress 200M integrated into the motherboard. It is a pretty cheap video card and I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the video card (maybe if there is an open PCI or AGP slot somewhere in the laptop) or replace the card itself. If it is possible to upgrade the card where would I look to find an upgrade and is it recommended to upgrade or just wait till I get a new computer.

Second question is, is it possible to "combine" two computers so they process all the information like they were actually one (combining 2 computers into one really fast one)? If so is there any practical way of doing this?

Thanks for your time!
Gr3y

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:55 PM

Second question is, is it possible to "combine" two computers so they process all the information like they were actually one (combining 2 computers into one really fast one)? If so is there any practical way of doing this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

First is, I have a HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop with a ATI Radeon XPress 200M integrated into the motherboard. It is a pretty cheap video card and I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the video card (maybe if there is an open PCI or AGP slot somewhere in the laptop) or replace the card itself. If it is possible to upgrade the card where would I look to find an upgrade and is it recommended to upgrade or just wait till I get a new computer.

No, there are no PCIe or AGP slots in laptops. You are stuck with what you have.

Yes, and no. The big problem with distributed computing like this is the low bandwidth and high latency of communication in between computers. There aren't very many tasks which would have any use of such a model. The other thing is that an application must be custom built to make use of such resources. It isn't anything you can do at home.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

No, there are no PCIe or AGP slots in laptops. You are stuck with what you have.

Yes, and no. The big problem with distributed computing like this is the low bandwidth and high latency of communication in between computers. There aren't very many tasks which would have any use of such a model. The other thing is that an application must be custom built to make use of such resources. It isn't anything you can do at home.

Ok thanks!

#5 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

Just a quick update of this topic.

I saw there were some linux OSs out there for computer clustering and there is one microsoft piece of software just for this. Is it possible to cluster two normal computers with a new OS installed (possibly a dual boot, one for clustering and another for regular windows/linux)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users