Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privacy Concerns Regarding My Emails

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Linylee

Linylee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a personal web based email account at hotmail.com. I consider this my private email account and had thought that if I'm the only person who knows the password to log on, then everything I do with my hotmail acct. is safe and my privacy and the email contents are confidential and private.

Well, I accidentally found out the other day when I was in the Temporary Internet Files folders that emails that I had opened to read from my hotmail acct. are not only archived in the temporary internet files, but that if you click the file there, you can actually read the entire contents of the email that someone had sent me, and in addition, you can also read emails that I've typed and sent out. The internet temp files also archives my entire INBOX so you can also see all the email subject lines as well. I was SO horrified!!! I share my computer with a family member and I do NOT want anyone else to be able to see my personal emails, especially the contents of each email. I want my emails from my hotmail account to be completely private and confidential and only I can see them.

So aside from clearing the cache every time I log into my hotmail account using IE or AOL, is there any other way I can prevent my emails from being archived in the temp files? I read there are softwares I can buy to prevent this and if so, can someone recommend a safe and easy to use one? Also any other tips & suggestions will be very much appreciated.

I also read that it is bad for your computer hard drive if you clear your cache constantly as it "fragments" your hard drive and this will later cause problems. Is this true?

Thanks in advance, everyone, for any help and/or suggestions. I am now so afraid to log into my hotmail account.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users