Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intenet Explorer annoyance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 catpandabear

catpandabear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:08 AM

Internet Explorer 6 will not load web pages, the error message in the properties box says : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror. I have tried the fix IE from Add/Remove Programs, I have turned off my firewall, plus numerous other things and still no luck. I rarely use IE, but I do still need it for the odd thing that won't work in Firefox. Is it possible to totally remove IE 6. and then reload it?

OS Name: Microsoft Windows ME
Version: 4.90.3000 Build 3000
Processor: AMD Duron™ Processor AuthenticAMD ~700Mhz
BIOS Version: 1.00
Hard Drive Size: 20 G
Memory installed: 128.0MB Ram
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free
Virus Protection: AVG Free

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:15 AM

Windows won't let you remove Internet Explorer unless it was installed as an upgrade since the OS was installed (for example from IE5.5 to IE6). If no previous version exists on your system, only a re-format will get rid of it, which,of course, you then need a re-install of Windows from scratch.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:39 AM

First, make sure you have all the critical updates installed for IE, then make at least one more attempt to REPAIR IE in safe mode. If that will not stop the problem, then be sure you have run Ad-AwareSE and Spybot Search and Destroy---there are all sorts of things that can cause this problem, including some rogue applications and programs.
If this combination does not work, then you would be advised to post a HijackThis! log to the forum here. Be sure to read the pinned messages at the forum which gives precise instructions about how to use and post a log for the volunteer team to review.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 catpandabear

catpandabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:45 PM

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I had started the computer in safe mode to try and use the IE fix in Add/Remove, which didn't seem to help.....when I went to reboot the computer again I forgot to hit enter on normal mode and it started in safe mode again, and froze, so I rebooted again, and again, and again, and the next time I rebooted I forgot the normal mode again and it loaded when I wasn't paying attention, when I looked back at the screen it showed me this pile of errors, all apparently stemming from something I had installed from my service provider that was supposed to help take "care" of the connection. Not once in all the error checks and scans and other checks I did, did this show up as a problem, not once!!!! Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users