Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security/nortons 360

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 keltyoz

keltyoz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

Can someone explain in simple terms for this senior cit please I am a little confused, I have put Nortons 360 on but it keeps freezing on some web sites, but I can live with it after takng it off and using the Nortons removal tool they sent me and reinstalling it is better than it was. I went into my Windows Security and it says everything is on, went into Windows Firewall and it says it is off, presumably because I have Nortons 360.
I am a but confused as to the functions of Windows Security, is this actually Windows programs and are they sufficient other words do I really need Nortons (or any other AV etc ) or is Windows Security just advising me thet I have security on my machine, can I just use a free AV like AVG and rely on Windwows firewall. I do Internet banking so want to be sure my computer is secure.

My concern with Nortons 360 is that if you use Windows XP restore to go back to restore point it stuffs 360 up, or so the Nortons tech told me. and I wold need to remove and reinstall again, I don't want to use Nortons backup and storage feature since that means my files are stored on their site not something I feel comfortable with

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

"... do I really need Nortons (or any other AV etc ) or is Windows Security just advising me thet I have security on my machine"

Yes, you need an anti-virus running on your PC. One and only one AV program.

No, you do not need Norton 360 installed. It has an anti-virus included in it, but you can get an anti-virus program that's as good or better for free:
Avast!: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/
These 2 won't hog your PC's system resources like all Norton products do.

Yes, Windows Security is there to just report the state of your anti-virus and firewall protection. It can also be used to turn off the Windows firewall. It doesn't provide any protection.

"I do Internet banking so want to be sure my computer is secure."

Any Internet site dealing with money had better have its own security. They use encription to prevent other people from seeing what you are doing. The status of the encription is usually shown by a little icon of a padlock in the lower-right corner of the browser window. At least, Internet Explorer and all Mozilla derivitive browsers (Netscape, Firefox, Opera, etc.) use this symbol. The padlock should be shown in its locked state when you are visiting these sites.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

I have to agree with pascor, aside from norton being a resource hog it doesn't seem to play well with others. I have been using AVG for several years and am very pleased with it, it is active and updates itself every day, and it's free. Today you can't depend on an anti virus to keep you safe, you also need a firewall and protection from adware, spyware and malware. I have been using Zone Alarm for my firewall for the last year and am pleased with it, it is active and is also free. I also run Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Asquared, these are not active and will have to be run manually and updated manually, but they work great and are also free.

Edited by dc3, 16 August 2007 - 10:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 keltyoz

keltyoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:13 AM

Thank you both for the information . I knew about the padlock for the sites but wasn't sure how protected my computer would be from hackers, I don't keep any of my passwords for banking details listed on my computer. I know its a slim chance but I did get my computer taken over once when I inadvertently accepted a network thinking it was a Windows thing, they took over my mouse, and I turned the modem off, I found it "my network" and got rid of it and changed all my passwords just in case. I learnt my lesson never accept anything unless 100-% sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users