Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Displays

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

ive noticed some people have two monitors for one computer and they show different things
how do you do that and why? i mean whats the purpose fo doing it? it looks cool and i want to try it
idk if this is the right forum section

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

This would probably be better in Hardware, but anyways to answer your question: Many people use dual screens if they work in business and have to view full-screen spreadsheets, and still want another screen to do other things on. If you want to compare 2 pictures side-by-side, you can use a dual-screen. Basically, it's not like having 2 screens, though. It's like instead of having a 1024x768 resolution screen, you have a 2048x768 screen split in half. You need a newer graphics card with proper connections (2 of them) and you need 2 monitors, of course. Then, you can just make a dual-display in your display settings.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:42 PM

Hi,
I run dual monitors using a 19" and a 15" minitors. I have the 19" connected to the onboard video and I bought a cheap PCI card to run the 2nd monitor. As the screenshot shows I use the 19" for general work and on the smaller one I have my email, music player and an assortment of system monitoring widgets. I would never go back to one monitor.
Posted Image

The screenshot makes it look like the 2 monitors are the same but they aren't.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:18 AM

well i do have a relativley new card the 7900 gs
it has two video connections
so if i bought another monitor and used it to dual display i could play games on one monitor and look at my desktop on the other?

#5 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:55 AM

I think if you have both monitors plugged into the same card it just stretches your desktop over the two. You just resize a window for each.
I use a program called Ultramon to have different desktops and taskbars on each monitor.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users