Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Use Control Panel Functions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tuffy

Tuffy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

Recently my laptop was exposed to some infections. I'm in the process of doing a clean-up, but my XP is not letting me access Control Panel functions and My Computer's "Properties". It gives me an error message that says, "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System Administrator."

Anyone know of the fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

Hi Tuffy,

Sorry to hear about the infections there. I don't know but it sounds like you might be logging in on a limited user account. Do you have access to an admin account on that PC?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

There are registry keys that need to be changed to allow access to the control panel again. WARNING!!! Unless you are very very confident you should NOT attempt this. If you make a mistake you will end up reinstalling Windows. I am not talking down to you and I am not trying t be rude but this is a very serious tweak.

Posted ImageUse Extreme Caution!!Posted Image

Modifying your registry can damage your operating system beyond repair!

Before proceeding, backup your registry! NOW!!

Recommended registry utility. ERUNT Registry Backup

OK here we go.

Here is a tweak on how to change the restriction very the registry editor.

Registry Settings

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
Value Name: NoControlPanel
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)

Link to PCTools Article

Once again, if you are not sure you can modify you registry DO NOT PROCEED!!!
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users