Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 byronj

byronj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

yes I have a gateway pent 3 (dinosuar) anyway i just put a new hard drive in it 80 gig the computer regonizes it put when it boots up it ask to start windows normally which I do anyway when it runs through thew time it just sitsthere and after while it restarts also tried it with a hard drive from a dell and i get the same response. can anybody tell me whats going on . thanks byronj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

Are you trying to install windows or is it already on the drive?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

Or is it a second drive added to the IDE cable ? If so, did you set its jumper to the "Slave" position ?

#4 byronj

byronj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

one hard drive has windows already on it and it still wont come up and the other the new one doesnt have anything on it . but the first one is the one i was talking about came out of a old dell that died, and it wont come up either. just like the new one . and i cant get the new one to come up to where i can install windows. ANY IDEAS thanks

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

:thumbsup:
Hiya,

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you trying to boot up a copy of Windows from the old hard drive, previously installed on a Dell machine ? If so, it wont, you cannot just swap hard drives to different computers and operate the system.The system has to be installed on the particular computer it is to be used upon.
Obviously I may have interpreted your post incorrectly?

Regards,
Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 byronj

byronj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

tony
thats just the half of it i also have a new hard drive for the same gateway and it will not boot either that is why i was trying the dell hd what do i have to
do to get either hd formatted for the gateway, Ive have a windows disc and have the gateway set to boot from the cd first and still cannot get it to format the hd, the gateway doesnt have a floppy any ideas? thanks byronj

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

When you boot from the XP installation disc does the installation program run ? If so, doe it find the hard drives ?

#8 byronj

byronj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

It finds the hard drive and cd rom but thats all it will do ,it gives some options but nothing to format the hard drive
or to install xp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users