Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary Internet Files While Using Aol Brower

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Linylee

Linylee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

Hi everyone,

I was just reading up on how to clear your cache or deleting your temporary internet files so that it frees up computer space, but mostly I want to protect my privacy so that others cannot see what websites I have visited. I now know how to do this, but my question is, if I am visiting websites while using my AOL browser instead of going directly to Internet Explorer, will the websites I have visited while using the AOL browser be stored in the Temporary Internet Files as well or AOL stores visited sites somewhere else? I know one place that AOL stores visited sites is in their own 'History' file, but will it also store the sites in the IE temp file folders also?

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your help and answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Although I cannot answer specifically for AOL's browser, it may help you if I say that apart from IE 7 browser, I use an MSN browser on their subsciption service, their browser history log is seperate from IE and only keeps a record of sites etc, visited whilst using their browser.

Maybe this may help you in your concerns.

Regards,
Tony
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 Linylee

Linylee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I'm pretty technically challenged so I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting.

How do I go about using an MSN browser? Where do I find it? Do I have to pay for a subscription service? If using this MSN browser, does it mean that any websites you visit will not get filed in the the Temporary Internet Files folder?

Thank you again and hope you have the patience to answer my questions.

#4 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

Try using firefox as your browser, it can auto delete all private data on closing. You can delete all temp files on internet options in control panal and im sure that there are options on AOL to delete private data in the tool bar. If not go to the question bar on AOL and type in 'delete history?' and it will show you how to do it.

#5 Linylee

Linylee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Kev, for your suggestion for using Firefox as my internet browser. I think I will try downloading Firefox and give it a try.

Would you be so kind as to give me some step by step instructions on how to set it up (once I have Firefox downloaded) so that it will automatically delete all visited web sites upon exiting? I would be forever grateful. I was so horrified the other day when I went into the Temporary Internet Files folders and found archived there actual contents of emails I've received in my Hotmail.com email account. It was like the entire contents of the email was opened for anyone to read! Sheeesh, I may as well give everyone my email password if that is the case, if all you have to do is go into the temp files and find the email that way and read it. No logging into your email acct. or using any passwords. No privacy at all!! Since I share my home computer, I don't want others being able to see what websites I have visited, and mostly, I don't want others to be able to read my private emails!

This tech challenged girl will be SO grateful for any instructions you can give.

Thank you again!!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

To have Firefox automatically clear your history:

With Firefox open, click Tools.
Select Options...
Click the Privacy icon.
Under Private Data, put a check next to Always clear my private data when I close Firefox.
Click the Settings... button.
Put a check next to anything you want deleted, when you close Firefox.
Click the OK button.

Edited by tg1911, 17 August 2007 - 02:43 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Linylee

Linylee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

THANK YOU very much, TG1911....

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and give me the step-by-step instructions.

BTW, I love your little verbiage "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy, for the rest of your life."

That is soooo funny!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Linylee, 17 August 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

You're quite welcome, Linylee.
That's what we're all here for, to help where we can.

I'm glad you found my sig funny, because my wife didn't find it very amusing. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Linylee

Linylee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:06 PM

You're quite welcome, Linylee.
That's what we're all here for, to help where we can.

I'm glad you found my sig funny, because my wife didn't find it very amusing. :thumbsup:

I guess your wife just needs a better sense of humor...... :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users