Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Slew Of Issues...please Direct And Help Me!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beatlesusan

beatlesusan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Well, it started last week with a trojan. I downloaded something I shouldn't have and now I'm screwed! I've tried everything over the past week. I bought Webroot Spy Sweeper in hopes to get rid of it. I also have F-Secure security suite through my ISP. I have run some scans with my security and the last few have come up clean. I'm running Windows XP by the way. Problem is my rundll32.exe seems to be missing and now I can't connect to my wireless internet. (I'm using my other computer now) The rundll32.exe error says "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search" I've also tried a restore to no avail. Any clues as to what I need to do or where I need to go? I'm just exhausted and emotionally drained dealing with all this and I just want, no need some help. Pretty please?

Edited by beatlesusan, 16 August 2007 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

Rundll32.exe is a legit Windows file that loads .dll files which too can be legit or malware related. The Cannot find... error message usually occurs because of a missing or corrupted Rundll32.exe file or can be caused by malware.

There are several ways to fix this:

1. There should have a backup copy of rundll32.exe on your system. Use Windows Explorer and check for a Service Pack install: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

Look inside that folder, find rundll32.exe, right-click on it, choose "copy" and paste it into your C:\Windows\system32 folder.

2. Download rundll32.zip here.
Extract (unzip) it to this folder: C:\Windows\System32

3. Insert your Windows XP CD disk in the CD ROM drive.
  • Click Start > Run and type: expand X:\i386\rundll32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    where X is the letter of your CD ROM Drive.
  • Press OK and restart the computer.
You can also do this from a command prompt:
  • Insert your Windows XP CD disk in the CD ROM drive.
  • Click Start > Run and type: cmd
  • Press Enter and type: expand X:\i386\rundll32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
  • Press Enter again, close the command prompt and restart your computer.
Also see Cannot find the Rundll32.exe file.

Edited by quietman7, 16 August 2007 - 01:32 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 beatlesusan

beatlesusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

I thank you so much for replying! I tried both methods and on the first, I couldn't find anything titled Service Pack. I am working on a Dell laptop and it said I would be able to find information about programs on Documentation and Support icon and well, that tells me nothing lol so there goes the second option. Any more suggestions? And because the rundll32.exe can't be found, is that why my wireless internet stopped working? THanks so much again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

Try running the the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

To use System File Checker:
Go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 beatlesusan

beatlesusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

The link you gave me to download the rundll32.exe did the trick!! I thank you sooooo much. I now am going to do another scan to see what comes up then I'll post a hijackthis log in the proper forum. Thank you so very much.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

Your welcome and good luck. :thumbsup: