Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Has Got My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ally1350

ally1350

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

For some reason when I try to download the microsoft/windows updates the screen changes like it is try to connect to the updates but it ends getting stuck. Also when I try to access add/remove programs through the control panel the same thing happens.

Any ideas.

Ally1350
=======

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

I'm not following you here. Are you saying that when you try to access Add/Remove your machine tries to connect to the Internet? You need to be more specific with explaining your issue.

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

You need to start there first. If you don't have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and at least scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. In #4 there is a list of several free online anti-virus scans which you can perform. I would also recommend that you download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users in "SAFE MODE".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ally1350

ally1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

Quietman...

Sorry, I will try and give more info:
When I go to control panel then add/remove programs...the add/remove box pops up and that is when it gets stuck. The programs never get listed even when I go to contol/alt/delete then to task manager it does not even show up as running.

As far as what I have run:
I used win200 pro
I norton anti-virus installed and run kit everyday
I have run in safe mode
I have run AVG anti-spyware
I have run Ad-Aware
I have run spybot search and destroy
I have run Dr web-cureit
I have run CCleaner
I have run Cleanup
I have Hijackthis if you need it

If you need more info let me know

Ally

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

Go to Start > Run and type: appwiz.cpl
press Ok
Does it open now?

If not and you said it does not open even in safe mode, when did this issue first appear?

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE" to return to a previous state before your problems began?

#5 ally1350

ally1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Go to Start > Run and type: appwiz.cpl
press Ok
Does it open now?

No it still the same.

=========

As far as I know win2000 does not have restore capabilities. If is does I do not know how it is done.

=========

When did this problem first appear:
Within the last day or so.

My computer is set to notify me if there are updates for microsoft windows. I received an icon at the bottom of my computer (next to the clock) that said there were some updates. I was able to click on the icon and see the updates but I did not install them right away. In the mean time I tried to use the add/remove to see if there was anthing I did not need and that is when in got stuck. Next I went to microsoft.com to install the updates and the web site would not insall completely and I do not even get the icon about new updates at the bottom (next to the clock).

Ally
===

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

I noticed you had Win 2000, got sidetracked while doing some research and forgot when I posted about trying System Restore.

Your two issues may or may not be related.

Go to Start > Run type: cmd
press Ok.
At the command prompt type: regsvr32 appwiz.cpl
(Note there is a space between 32 and appwiz)
Hit Enter.
When finished, type: exit
Hit Enter and reboot your computer.
Does it open now?

Have you tried to download and install an update manually just to see if you can? If not, go to the MS Download Center
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse....mp;categoryid=7

Enter the KB number of the update in the search box at the top, select Go and locate the one for your OS. Click on the link to download, then install it. Let me know if that was successful.

#7 ally1350

ally1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

Go to Start > Run type: cmd
press Ok.
At the command prompt type: regsvr32 appwiz.cpl
(Note there is a space between 32 and appwiz)
Hit Enter.
When finished, type: exit
Hit Enter and reboot your computer.
Does it open now?

Still did not work

============

Have you tried to download and install an update manually just to see if you can? If not, go to the MS Download Center
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse....mp;categoryid=7

I was able to download some of the updates but I am not sure what updates I need...I just updated the ones in the last few days.

I was also able to go to the 'officexp' updates

============

Could it be possible there is a corrupt .DLL file or a registry problem ( I did some "regedit" stuff a few days ago )

Ally
======

#8 ally1350

ally1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

This is the site I am having problems with:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...inkid%3d3647647

I can get on any other microsoft web site except this one.

Ally
========

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:09 AM

Try:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...t.aspx?ln=en-us

MS Security Bulletin Summary for August, 2007 <- provides the updates just released
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-aug.mspx

Could it be possible there is a corrupt .DLL file or a registry problem ( I did some "regedit" stuff a few days ago )

Did you make a backup of your registry first? Anytime you mess with the registry improper changes could adversely affect your computer and even render it inoperable.

#10 ally1350

ally1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

Did you make a backup of your registry first? Anytime you mess with the registry improper changes could adversely affect your computer and even render it inoperable.

Yes, I made a backup a few days ago but I did not need it so I deleted it (wrong thing to do).

If the microsoft updates worked a couple times after I changed the registry that should not the problem---right?

The add/remove has not work for a couple of days.....is there a way to re-install or fix with the CD? Or is there a registry fix program out there that might help?

Thanks

Ally

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

Since nothing seems to be resolving this issue, I'm inclined to suspect a corrupted registry or malware problem. If no malware is found then a "Repair install" may be necessary. However, before considering that, lets investigate the possibility of malware.

Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. If you can't perform a step, then skip and continue with the next.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users