Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worried About My Connection Speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hannisburg

Hannisburg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

Hiya, my internet has recently slowed down A LOT. The connection is shared between 3 computers via a router but the speed has never been a major issue before. I got a copy of Registry Mechanic (PC Tools) and it has cleaned up my registry considerably which has helpd the issue a bit, but there still seems to be a problem somewhere. Using a broadband speed test, I got these results:

D/L - 1418 kbps
U/L - 60 kbps

It is mostly the upload speed that I'm concerned about, but the download of webpages and even small files (I use Azureus for example) is taking forever. Is there anything I can do/check - or generally, is there any advice anyone can give me to try and improve the speeds?

Thanks a lot,

Hannah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bringthepain

bringthepain

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

Your speeds look about right for ADSL, except your UP speed is alittle low. As for anything you can do, there really isnt. Speed is determined by your ISP. Also, that looks to be about a 3 Mbps connection, in which case, that IS quite slow for 3 computers. With 3 computers that would be less then 500Kbps a computer. If you remember the old days, that is slower then a 512 ISDN line. If you are going to be running 3 computers on the same line, you would either need to live with the slow speeds, or get something like cable internet that has up to 6 Mbps connection speeds.

If this happened all the sudden, 2 things are possible.

Your ISP is having network problems, and can not Handel the load

or

The person who pays the bill switched to a cheaper plan with less bandwidth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users