Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Edition Unable To Change Users.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:20 AM

Sounds silly I know, but my PC has Finnish () windows and language is well, like sandscript. I understand little. They even change the words so you cannot simply find System, or File, or System Restore. They used completely different words so cannot translate.

Anyway, as of yesterday we cannot change users. We both have log on screens, but who ever logs on first (no Problem) cannot then "Change User". When you click on change user it looks OK, says it is Loading your preferences, but nothing appears, just wall paper.

Oh we have visitors who have been playing on PC. I cannot even find system restore to try to go back 3 days.

Any Ideas :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:15 AM

Well. if i were you, i would try the sfc /scannow method to see if its your windows files that are corrupt.
Steps can be found here

If that doesn't work. I would try to repair the XP installation. You can find steps to do this here

Hope this info helps you out :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

To either run SFC or do a Repair Install you must have an "XP CD" otherwise known as an "XP Installation CD" which is not a "Reinstallation CD". A Reinstallation CD is supllied much more often than a XP Installation CD.

You are even more likely not to been given any CDs at all. In this case either the BIOS is used to reinstall XP or a special program is run to burn a set of Reinstallation CDs. A reinstallation will wipe out all programs and files that you added to your PC since the time you first got it. You would probably want to back up your important files and program installer files before you do a reinstallation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users