Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop Items Or Start Menu With Run Error '5'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnydolittle

johnydolittle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:22 AM

When I start my computer nothing comes up other than my wallpaper, all my files and desktop items are missing, nothing, no menu bar, ZERO. Some times it says run error 5. I have tried using the recovery cd, however I get an error message. I have also tried safe mode but get another error. I downloaded the autorun program but it says it can not find it when I try to open it via the Windows Task Manager.

The only way I can acess my files or programs is through the Windows Task Manager. I have can see all my files and programs and can open via WTM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

In Task Manager select the Applications tab > click the New Task button at the bottom of the window and type: "explorer.exe". Hopefully your desktop will reappear.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

I have this same problem, but everything comes back once i reboot. What is causing this and is there a perm. fix?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:19 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195 on the right.

Warning: Before trying any fix such as this you should always ensure that all your important data is backed up in case something goes wrong.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users