Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Musix Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joejimbo

joejimbo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum used musix and could provide information on the audio compositional programs that linux offers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Musix is a Live CD and the last time I used it the translation from Spanish/Portuguese(its native language) to English was so bad it rendered the whole OS useless to me (some commands were in Portuguese some in Spanish and some in English) It was a very nice Knoppix (Katonix) based distro aside from that.

If your looking for an Audio Production distro, I personally use Ubuntu Studio and couldn't be happier with it. There are a few other audio production distros out there but I have not tried them.

Theres alot of applications and packages for Audio Production in Linux (I could probably fill 2 posts full with names and descriptions). Perhaps you can narrow the range down for me as what you want to do (ie Digital DJ, Guitar effects and recording, MIDI production).

Posted Image

#3 joejimbo

joejimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

I was looking mainly for music production and some beginner software synth stuff. I was curious if unbuntu could be optimized enough so you could use the computer as a real time guitar effect pedal but from what i've been told it's not possible. That Unbuntu Studio looks nice and i'll be sure to give it a try. I would actually like to know those assortment of programs so if you could send me that list that would be great, or if you can re-direct me to someplace that gives linux audio tutorials or extensive list of linux audio programs that would be great, thx

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

Real time guitar effects are possible (given 3 hands, 2 for playing one for clicking) with Creox (included in Ubuntu Studio) and GNUitar (available for Windows and Linux). http://www.gnuitar.com/

the list of programs for U.S. can be found in post 6 of this thread (its anoted to only whats shown in the menu) http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/104476/home-recording/

Posted Image

#5 joejimbo

joejimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

thx for the list and the help. I tried installing ubuntu studio through ubuntu but it's kinda cumbersome trying to access all those programs from a single list. I remember that musix that this nice interface where there where multiple desktops and each one was a different background and assortment of shortcuts to programs. As i'm new to linux is there some way of copying this or customizing gnome or kde to copy this kinda setup? also I wasn't able to download the ubuntustudio-desktop package or it's theme package I don't know if it's just me or they have been removed for some reason/

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

KDE has the ability to have multiple backgrounds built into its controls. However the different sets of shortcuts per desktop I dont know about.

As for the sexy dark Ubuntu Studio Theme. add this to your repositories. (Synaptic->Settings->Repositories->Add)

http://archive.ubuntustudio.org/ubuntustudio

Posted Image

#7 joejimbo

joejimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

i'm still intent on having multiple custom desktops and found out that musix used IceWM as the desktop environment. I've done a few google searches but haven't found much, what are some good IceWM customization tutorials around?

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

Honestly there is not much on IceWM as so few people use it, not that its bad but its less common than say FluxBox. I'd start reading up on the FAQs here http://www.icewm.org/. i installed it on my system so if you need any help i should be able to switch over and give you a hand. (Also I like to try new things and Ice has been on the list for some time now)

Posted Image

#9 joejimbo

joejimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

thanks for the help, I was wondering actually if it was possible to look into musix's IceWM and actually see the code that invokes those custom desktop environments, as i'm a total linux newbie I have no idea if this is possible. Also whose customizable is fluxbox? myabe i'll you that if it has more documentation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users