Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless: Limited Or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lunaz

lunaz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:10 PM

i just got one of those acer aspire 3860s from walmart for $400, and booted up, said yes to everything. ;) now i can't connect to my linksys wireless g router; it says connected with limited or no connectivity. can't ping anything either. i turned off ipv6 (i think) but i don't remember where that option was at.

any way to fix this? i'm on day 1 with vista. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:46 PM

Two possible issues:

The wireless switch is turned off.
The router has MAC address filtering turned on.

Question: is your signal strength good?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 lunaz

lunaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

the light on my switch is on, and that didn't seem to make a difference.
i'll check the router tonight when i get home.
my signal strength is excellent. :huh:

i'll try to get to the hotspot at work during lunch.

#4 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

the light on my switch is on, and that didn't seem to make a difference.

On my laptop, the wireless is turned off when the light is orange and turned on when the light is blue. Here's a picture to illustrate.

#5 lunaz

lunaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

well, the light is on, and i'm posting this rom the work wifi thingy, so it must be something i did wrong at home; will report back.

wow its hard to type on these things...

#6 jjthenovice

jjthenovice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

There is an outside chance that your winsock is corrupted. Do a google for "windsockfix.exe", download it and execute it. See if that fixes problem.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

Before you run any program of this type, be sure that It is vista compatible. Winsockfix.exe is not vista compatible.

#8 jjthenovice

jjthenovice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

Before you run any program of this type, be sure that It is vista compatible. Winsockfix.exe is not vista compatible.

According to this site it works with Vista. http://www.download3k.com/Network-tools/Di...WinSockFix.html

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:48 PM

When I lookup Winsockfix.exe, I just get links that lead to this file. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html. Thanks for the link. just got the file.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Have you checked with your ISP to see if the connection is OK from their end?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 lunaz

lunaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

my isp's phone support is trash; last time i tried to call i was on hold for an hour.

i turned off all security & i still can't connect; i guess i'll reset router & see if that helps.

i can get to other people's unsecured networks.

#12 lunaz

lunaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

i reset the router, and i'm connected with all security off. i still can't get 128 wep working though.... what next?

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:34 AM

Linksys used to have a nice online chat support option that worked very well for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:29 AM

i can get to other people's unsecured networks.

Try Uninstalling the drivers in Device Manager, reboot and let them be installed again, This almost works all the time. Make sure you have the drivers though. You may have to retype your key if it's a secure network also.

Sounds like a compatibility thing though. Being getting lots of issues with Linksys and Vista lately, maybe they have a patch of something.

Are this other unsecured networks you are connecting to Linksys?

#15 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:41 AM

I had this problem with a dlink wireless adapter and the vista drivers. I tried a few things without success and went out and bought a belkin adapter with the vista drivers I found on their website.

My system is quite stable now.

However, I'm still fussing with my daughter's laptop. Her built in wireless adapter works fine with her belkin router at home but will not connect with her netgear router at work.

I looked on the netgear website and apparently the older routers are not considered compatible with vista. She will have to buy a newer router, I imagine....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users