Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Hacked? And How Do It Detect It?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 todd22

todd22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Hi,
My internet connection has been sowing to a crawl the past 2 days and a lot of sites that were once fast loading are now inaccessible as they are usually timed out or just stuck at the loading screen. (occassionally by keep refreshing the site will work eventually) some sites still remain accessbile though, like google etc. and i timedout if i download anything more than 5mb. i suspected that my computer/network has been hacked, and hence this slowness. but im not sure how to detect "hackers" or even know if my netowork has really been hacked or not. (so i need help..)

why do i suspect im being hacked? 1st is because my network connection used to start automatically when i on my comp. but now, it doesn't and i have to manually disconnect and connect to use internet. my internet plan is only 5mbps, but i've been connection to 100 mbps nowadays? isn't that strange? could the hacker have re-routed my connection to something else? and hence the slowness.

2nd, i checked my router configuration page, but a popup says that the page have an insecure certificate and might be a website pretending to be the router configuration page? i never had this popup b4.

the firewall logs of the router also shows a lot of inbound attempts made from weird ip adress all over the world. it shows 4 or 5 inbound attempts blocked by the firewall every min, is that normal??

ive done scan with spybot, adaware, avg free editon and have cleaned up whatever there is. but still the slowness. are there any other scans i can do to really detect hacking attempts? or whther my connection configurations have been tempered with that caused me to connect to some other (slow) connection. i dun think the prob lies with the isp as my frens have no problems with their connection. hence, it must be something wrong on my side.

being rather noob, im not sure how to proceed from here. i dunno why i have this niggling suspicion that my comp or network connection has been hacked/infected..is there any way to detect and prove this? or any scans i can do to see if i've been hacked? thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

I recommend that you start with a general scan of the computer with Trend Micro's Housecall This online scanner is able to run in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Please be sure to use the Java Housecall Kernel, not Active X. Please let us know the results.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 todd22

todd22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

im having problem connecting to most websites..so the scan couldnt even start. its stuck at "opening trend micro housecall" and won't proceed furtther. is there a version that can be downloaded?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

None that I know of, however here are two stand alone scanners that may be able to help:

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_cleaner.html

http://www.freedrweb.com/

After you have downloaded both of these programs and saved them to your normal download location, please restart your computer, going directly to safe mode using the F8 method: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Let us know your results, please.

#5 todd22

todd22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:44 AM

there are no viruses detected from both the scanners..anything else i can do?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:15 AM

The next step would be follow the Preparation Guide for Use before posting a hijack this log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users