Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message 815

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whiteshoes

whiteshoes

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

hi all my friend has recently got new pc with vista and her kids have been installing and running everthing ...like teenagers do lol but she asked me to have a look at it cos it was running slow so i went over but when i tried to connect to the internet it wouldn't. her isp is ntlworld(cable which is now run by virgin). whenever you click on internet explorer a window appears saying that it is dialing up to make a connection,but then comes up with another window stating "error message 815" any help in resolving this problem would be most appreciated as my friends kids will drive her daft without msn tia :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

Hi Whiteshoes,

If it's cable it shouldn't have to dial up. Go to IE Tools, Internet Options, then the Connections Tab. There's a radio button for "Never dial a connection", click it. Click Apply then OK. Close then reopen IE and see if this helps.

If it's running slow check the systray (by the clock) and close any programs you do not use like mp3 players, video players, network maps, etc. If this speeds up your machine, you need to go to msconfig and disable these programs in the start tab. When you use msconfig, diable only one program at a time and then reboot. If you can't reboot normally, reboot in safe mode and enable the program you previously disabled.

Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Program Features and check the programs installed. If you are not sure of a program, google it to see what it is. Delete the questionable programs.

Run antispyware programs like Spybot & AdAware to find and defeat any malware of 'browser helpers' that may be slowing it down. Several downloads have some sort of malware attached.

Go to Start, Accessories, System Tools and run Disk Cleaner to clean out any left over install or temp files from the teens' download fest.

I would also suggest you download AusLogics Disk Defrag and defrag the HDDs. This program is a lot faster than using the defrag program that came with Vista.

Hope this helps.

#3 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

hi russsl thx for ur speedy reply. I have tried changing to never dial a connection but still to no avail . when I click on diagnose problem I get a window pop up telling me my friend has limited or no connectivity, I also still got the error 815 which reads "the broadband network connection could not be established on your computer because the remote server is not responding. this could be caused by an invalid value for the 'service name' field for this connection" :huh: :huh:
i have also tried a system restore back 4 days to see if that would rectify the problem but no joy.... once again tia to any help any body can suggest

#4 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

Whiteshoes, have you tried pinging that computer?

#5 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

sorry to be a pain but how do i do that

#6 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

On your friend's computer go to START. In the Start Search field type CMD and hit [ENT]. Another window will open with a greater than (>) prompt. Type in IPCONFIG and hit [ENT]. A list will come up. Mine shows my ISP as XXXX.XX.comcast.net. Her's will be something like XXXX.XXXX.ntlworld.(com or net or something similar). Right below there should be:

IP Address .................: 128.66.101.127 (These are numbers given for example only, her's will be different.)
Subnet Mask ...............: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway ..........: 128.66.1.1

Copy down the IP Adress numbers. Do not turn off her computer.

Go to another computer that is on the internet or call someone that has their machine running. Use the CMD command in the Start Search (for Vista) or Run (XP, 2000, ME, NT, 98) field and hit [ENT]. At the C:\> prompt, type in PING (the numeric IP Address of her machine) then hit [ENT]. If the ping returns, her cable modem is connected to the Net. That means the problem is on her side of the modem. If it times out, then there is a problem with the modem or cable. We had a similar problem a few years ago. The problem was cable that had been damaged by squirrels.

Try it and we'll take it from there.

Edited by Russsl, 17 August 2007 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

Whiteshoes,

Is her computer on a home network or VPN?

#8 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

thx for again ur speedy response russsl , i have not seen my friend today..it will probably be monday now, were i will try to ping her. she is not on a network as far as im aware.. she just has the 1 pc but do they not call it a network because she has a set top box (for tv and internet) which her internet comes via. im not sure tia :huh: :huh:

#9 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

hi russl i have just pinged my friends pc but it came back with the message "destination host not reachable"

#10 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

Hi Whiteshoes,

Been working overtime at the day job. If you rec'd the message of "destination host not reachable", that tells me that the problem is probably the ISP. Have you tried getting the ISP tech support to ping the modem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users