Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Permissions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

Hello
I have a new Gateway computer with Vista installed. I would like to know what settings need to be changed so that I may go through task manager to log off various users ( like I did in XP). Otherwise I need to log into each account to close them down. Thanks
I'm sure I'll have a lot of Vista questions in the coming weeks :huh:
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

You should be able to just open Task Manager (right click on the Task Bar), select the Users tab, then decide who to logoff. If this isn't working, please let us know how far you can get and we'll work on it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

comes up "Access is denied" on all the users. Even one user which is a restricted account
Thanks for the reply however
Tom

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:53 PM

Anyone???????? :huh:
Tom

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Click once on Start
Type in "taskmgr" (without the quotes)
Go to the top of that screen and right click on taskmgr.exe
Select "Run as administrator"

Let us know if that works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:20 AM

That did work USASMA :huh:

Do I need to do that every time or can I change a setting somehow?
Thanks for the help
Tom

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

This depends on where you get the Access Denied prompt. Vista accounts function as standard users until the User Account Control (UAC) prompts you to elevate to Administrative privileges. Since you open it as a standard user, it defaults to standard user behavior.

FYI - a work-around is to click on the Processes tab and then click the button for "Show processes for all users" - this'll elevate Task Manager to Administrator and will allow you to log folks off (tried it on my system and it works).

#8 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Thanks John
It worked and I can live with that. I thought I was an administrative account however :huh:

Thanks again and enjoy the weekend
Tom

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:41 AM

In Vista even the admin accounts work as non-admin accounts. The primary difference is that you can OK elevation requests without having to enter credentials (user name and password) in order to elevate things to an administrative process.

The only other option is to turn off User Account Control (UAC) for your profile. This'll leave you more vulnerable, but with less hassles - your choice. FWIW - I've stubbornly stuck to UAC for the last 18 months with Vista and have finally turned it off on my system - we'll see if I get infected. On the other hand, my wife is using Vista and has no problems with UAC (because she rarely does anything that needs Administrative permissions).

#10 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

Thanks again John. I tried keeping it off also but kept getting the annoying message that it was turned off so I just gave in to it

Thanks again for the help
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users