Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 goboldt

goboldt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

i run windows vista, but a small window keeps popping up saying windows explorer is not working followed by another window saying windows is restarting. This repeats itself every ten seconds. I can still run all my programs but i cant access the control panel long enough to add/remove any programs or run anything because it keeps restarting itself. I just got the comp today and am not very comp savvy. please help!

Edited by goboldt, 15 August 2007 - 05:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hi, goboldt,

Try booting up in safe mode to get to the control panel. When you start to boot up, press [F8] when you are in the start up flash screen. Use your cursor to arrow down to safe mode then hit [ENT]. When you're up, you should be able to get to control panel.

#3 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

There are various "known" bugs regarding this.

This can be cause by various scenarios.

1- Codec Crash. Crash during playing media file. Mostly Online but Offline also possible.

2- Windows Defender crash. Spyware or update crash. Mostly Online but Offline also possible.

3- UAC crash. System protection crash. Mostly Offline but Online crash also possible.

4- Driver Installation crash. vista compat crash. Offline crash.

5. Incompatible Application installation. vista compat crash. Offline crash.

This is a Hard one having multiple scenarios involved and nearly impossible to know which one is it for sure.

How to Proceed

Try each possible solution in order. Then discard solution and go into the next one.

a) F-8 Advanced Options Last Known Good configuration

Try to login into the desktop.

- Restart to Prove functionality and end troubleshooting.

:huh: F-8 Advanced Options Safe mode with Command Prompt

msconfig then click tab TOOLS / System restore - Launch

to Restore the earliest point

c) F-8 Advanced Options Safe mode with Command Prompt

msconfig then click tab TOOLS / Disable UAC - Launch

msconfig then click tab Services/Check on hide all ms services/disable all

msconfig then click tab Startup /disable all

d) F-8 Advanced Options Safe mode with Command Prompt

Type control then goto programs and features.

uninstall the last programs installed that were not bundled with the computer (Sort).

This is mostly a last chance option or an option if crashed after installing a software

e) F-8 Advanced Options Safe mode with Command Prompt

Type sfc /scannow and wait and hope not to be prompted for the disks

wait and restart prove functionality

saddly most of the times this dosen't work and you have to go to a recovery, in case your pc is a prebuilt system, but it's worth it to try. I've seen this steps work

Not really sure if I should answer this (Last time I posted something, I was told not to). But since this is a known issue @ work I tought it may help. Feel free to delete if I should not be posting in this forums.

Hope it helps though

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users