Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Device, No Sound Whatsoever

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pacificbreeze

pacificbreeze

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

hello there,
Well, I have read many forums, tried many solutions and have not had any luck.
Here's my problem, I have no sound but my speakers work,
I have creative audio psi es1371, 1373 wdm
what i have done checked volume
updated driver to sb pci 128 driver pack setup (did not work, went back to
creative audio psi
have opened device manager, everything is enabled and set to go
opened services.msc windows audio is running and set on automatic
uninstalled creative audio psi and rebooted to let microsoft find the program, it
did but still no sound,

so now i am stuck, I don't know what the motherboard is (or where), or if I have on board sound or not.
Some other info that may help
Gateway EV 700
ATXSTF MNT Performance 1400

n vidia
rivi TNT 2 64
V15 Bios II

I have no idea if this helps or not, but i would so appreciate any ideas. Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hi can you go to this link http://belarc.com/free_download.html download and install the Belarc advisor and then post the hardware results only.
MCP
MSDST

#3 pacificbreeze

pacificbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:10 PM

I hope this helps. There was not a label hardware. There's so much info listed on the profile, is that safe?

main circuit board
Board: Intel Corporation D850GB AAA22957-306
Serial Number: IMGB11501052
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551 08/20/2001

drives
20.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MATbleepA CD-ROM CR-594
YAMAHA CRW-F1E [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST320410A [Hard drive] (20.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5FG58VEH, rev 3.39, SMART Status: Healthy

Thank you monty007

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Try these suggestions here:
http://support.intel.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 pacificbreeze

pacificbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

Ok, have been to that site. Followed their troubleshooting steps(most of which I have already done several times), but the only one I couldn't do and just tried was accessing the bios setup program. Youre supposed to press F2 right after restarting the computer, but when I do that the command is ignored. This is probably the only step that I know of that I have not tried (making sure audio onboard is enabled through bios setup). So, any suggestions? Thanks so much.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

Dont worry about the Bios update. First go in to your Device manager and uninstall your audio drivers. Now go here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21 and download and install the audio driver (no6)
MCP
MSDST

#7 pacificbreeze

pacificbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:09 PM

monty007,

Uninstalled my audio drivers, some of them did not have uninstall option, but the creative audio psi did. Installed the audio driver you had suggested (no6). Was able to download and unzip files. Says "unzipped files successfully", but nothing happened after that. sat and waited a few seconds. nothing happened. Tried the process again, and still nothing. Figured if i restarted, something would happen. Nothing did and now I have the creative audio automatically from the restart. Somethings gotta give, you know.
This is what is under sound/audio:
Audio Codecs
Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373)(WDM)
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Video Codecs

Im really glad that you are willing to help. PB

Edited by pacificbreeze, 17 August 2007 - 12:56 AM.

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:32 AM

Where did you unzip the file to? Once they are unziped find the .exe file and run it.
MCP
MSDST

#9 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:58 AM

just a sideways thought about entering your bios, if you press F2 and nothing happens check to see if your keyboard has an "F Lock" key. This key enables / disables the use of "F" keys, so try hitting the F lock then F2 and see if that helps you enter bios. Odd choice in keys though, normally you hit the "delete" key to enter bios.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#10 pacificbreeze

pacificbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

ok,
Apparently, i unzipped files to temp folder. So I go to this folder open it up. There are several folders and files. I see a couple related to the ones i unzipped,

SMAXWDM
SoundMax Control Panel
SoundMax Sensaura 3D -these four are folders
SoundMax Synthesizer

if you open any of these folders, you just find more files in each. I'm just not sure what to run.
I assumed I was to look for WDM3034.SM3.exe
I have not come to a file that looks like this yet, but my search will continue..........PB

I have done a search .exe files and found
WDM3034_SM3[1].EXE-29235848.pf
I right click on this file, select option "open" and I get Windows cannot open this file and it needs to know what program created it and then I get the option to search for a program online. What the hell! I search online. Now I get some site that wants me to buy some program to open these files.
So, am I so not doing something right? Apparently Not! Sorry. PB

PS Idon't have an "F Lock" button on my keyboard, but I did try the delete button, and still no access to Bios. :thumbsup:

Edited by pacificbreeze, 17 August 2007 - 10:27 PM.

#11 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

Clean out your temp folder >go to accessories> system tools>disk clean up and then extract the zip file you downloaded into the temp folder. In the temp folder you will see a file called Setup.exe run that file.
MCP
MSDST

#12 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:09 AM

Youre supposed to press F2 right after restarting the computer, but when I do that the command is ignored.

Not to step on anyones toes here...

Sometimes you have to keep hitting it as soon as your computer starts up. Another key you can try is also the "Tab". Different motherboards require you to press different keys to get into Bios. Typically it's either F10, F11, or Delete.

Also if you have the speaker icon down in the right corner next to the clock double click on it then go to "Options" then "Properties" and under "Mixer Device" make sure if you have more than one audio device on your system that the correct one is selected. :thumbsup:

#13 pacificbreeze

pacificbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:20 AM

Reporting........

I have believe I have found the right folder. It was only named Setup, there wasn't an .exe attached, but it did open the Soundmax screen and the wizard to install. I start the installation and during the process an error box pops up with red x, no sound driver detected and advising me to reboot. Just to let you know, I did try to start from the beginning - uninstalled my audio drivers, downloaded no6 on the list, went to temp folder, and then opened the setup file to install. Once I got the error message to reboot-no sound driver detected, I decided to do it again but the second time not uninstall the creative audio driver (just in case that was the reason for the error message) and re-run the setup. Still did not work, and got the same error message. At one point the program did show up in my device manager under sounds ( it did have a yellow !), but appeared only for a brief two seconds and was gone! So I hope I did not ramble on too much and hope you understand what I did.
Thanks for being so darn patient!! PB :thumbsup:

PS As far as bios is concerned, the tab key is the one to do the trick! I couldn't tell what part of that language told me if my audio onboard was enabled or not!! will try to study it more when i reboot next though.

Edited by pacificbreeze, 19 August 2007 - 12:22 AM.

#14 pacificbreeze

pacificbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

Is it possible that my soundcard needs to be replaced? PB

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:12 AM

I've never experienced a bad sound card, but anything's possible
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users