Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Does Not Link To Some Websites..& Does Not Allow Downloading Of Virus Busting Software

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The Colonel

The Colonel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

All-

My computer has been infected with numerous viruses/spyware that has affected how my computer connects to the internet. For instance when I try to log onto symantec websites or even this one!, screen goes blank. Other websites work just fine. Also, when downloading SPYBOT, AD-AWARE, PAnda, Etc it gives me an error that the download cannot be completed.

I actually am accessing this website from another PC since mine does not connect to this site. All other sites work for me though with no problem. Any site that is related to fixing this virus gets disconnected.

Any suggestions?

I do thankfully have SPYBOT, NORTON and HJT so I prob can get you a log. Virus name that keeps coming up is "anserin" on Norton every 10 mins. But I believe I have many others. Also, does not allow me to update viruses for SPYBOT or Norton.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

If you have a flash drive, you can download on the computer that works and Install Spybot S&D and Adaware on the flash drive. If they are already installed and up to date, just copy the whole program folder for each to the flash drive and change to the computer that won't connect to the sites. Use explorer to navigate to the folders on the flash drive that contain the program, and run the scan from there.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Only problem is the "other" computer is my work computer which does not allow any downloads of any kind.

What else do you suggest?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

You can try winsockxp fix, which should be able to remove the blocking of the av web sites. Let us know, Thanks

#5 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

No go on that one also. PC allowed my to download the .exe file to my desktop but gave a error message when I tried to run it.

Error message stated it was a not a authorized WIN32 application or something to that effect.

What do you suggest I do now?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

Restart your computer in safe mode with networking and see if you can download files. Do you have a neighbor who will allow you to run downloads onto a flash drive so you can move them to your computer, or some way to get the files to your computer from a clean computer?

#7 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

I will see if that's possible.

I do however have HJT, will posting a log help at all?

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

The Hijack this team has a five or six day backlog, which is why I am trying to get you started.

If you can start the computer in safe mode, try running spybot from the actual administrator account.

#9 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

Well Spybot works fine in Safe mode or not. So does Norton AV. Its just that nothing new can be added.

Spybot finds the same 3 or 4 issues but cannot delete them as the files are in use.

I do know however that the " anserin" virus pops up every 10 mins exactly and gets deleted by NAV.

Norton website gives instruction show to clean this file through a registry change.

Should I attempt this in your opinion?

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

Don't mess with the registry. try this: Start, run: type in the run line netsh winsock reset hit enter .then restart your computer. then see if you can get to the av sites.

Edited by oldf@rt, 16 August 2007 - 04:04 PM.

#11 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:15 AM

I did not get a chance to do this as I forgot to write down instructions before I left work for the weekend and as you know I am unable to access this website from home. Seems like the virus has gotten worse for me as my PC will not allow access to ANY websites OR any windows functions. Such as System Restore, MEdia Player, even the search files function.

I am really in trouble now it seems.

Please help!!

#12 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

Sorry you have not gotten an answer to your last post.

Since you haven't, I'm jumping in here, but you won't like what I have to offer.

Frankly, at this point it seems the damage is so extensive that, if possible, I would suggest that you back up your data, reformat your hard drive, and reinstall Windows. :thumbsup:

Before we get into details, please answer these questions:

Can you back up your data to either CD-R or a USB flash drive?

Do you have your Windows XP CD, or the computer maker's Restore CD(s)?

What make and model number is your machine?

Dave

#13 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

Hi DaveM59-

Thank You for responding. I am at work presently so I will try and answer these questions as best as possible...

I do not have a Flash Drive currently and I def do not have the Windows XP discs.

I have a Dell Dimension L500 Desktop I believe

Are there any other options to repair the registry rather than reformatting my drive? How can you tell from my posts that there is no hope? I guess I cannot access the system restore or see if the PC connects to the internet through safe mode with networks?

Not that I doubt you or anything but you are correct with I am not happy with what you had to offer! lol

#14 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hi again,

Are there any other options to repair the registry rather than reformatting my drive?

Yes, if you can still access the Internet using Safe Mode with Networking. If you can do that, you should post a HijackThis log, not here, but on the HijackThis forum. Here is a link to the Preparation guide, do what you can, when you post the log describe what you were unable to do.

I have a Dell Dimension L500 Desktop I believe

Which series? L500c, L500cx, L500cxe or L500r? Do you have a service tag number?

The reason I suggested a reformat and reinstall is that it sounds like you have widespread damage to your system, and in these cases, even if your HJT forum helper can fix all the visible damage, other problems may remain, and trying to find them is like looking for a needle in a haystack (the Registry being the haystack). Thus my recommendation to wipe it clean and start over.

Dave

#15 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the response.

I do however want to point out that I can connect to the Internet in regular mode. It takes me to my homepage which is yahoo.com and it a fresh real-time connection.

However if I choose to go to another site the IE connection just ends and I go directly to my desktop.

Don't know if this helps at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users