Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Xp Off Of A Compaq Back Up Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kobaltic

kobaltic

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

Here is my problem. I am upgrading my brother in-laws computer. I am basically giving him a new computer. I don't have an OS to put on it. I would like to use his OS off of his compaq. I tried using the cd key on my version of XP but mine says it is invalid. I would like to strip XP off of the compaq backup drive. I believe they put it on a back up drive instead of using the cd restore discs. I have the CD key I just need a version of XP that works with it. If I can't do that does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could do. I don't want to pay for another key when I have one that works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

Not possible. HP/Compaq has designed the recovery partition or restore disks to only work on that model. It can be "stripped" from the recovery media only, not the recovery partition, but it still will not run on anything but a Compaq.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users