Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BigSigh

BigSigh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

I've noticed SMax4.exe and smax4pnp.exe running in the task manager window. I'm now going through the 'Preparation Guide' to rid my pc of any viruses, spyware and malware. In the process, House Call Anti Virus has detected W97M_GOGA.A (MS01-028RTF) Is it advisable to download service pack 3 because I'm having difficulty locating the patch.

I'm using WindowsXP 2002 version with Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Premium

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hi BigSigh, and welcome to BleepingComputers.

I would suggest that you install service pack 4 as it addresses some of the security issues that you experiencing, SP4 will include the information from the SP3 so you don't need to install it first. You can download SP4 here.

The SMax4.exe and smax4pnp.exe are files that are used in your audio, I wouldn't worry about them unless there are error messages regarding them. The W97M_GOGA.A is a macro virus, I'm not familiar with House Call other than seeing their add on TV, when you run you scan do it in safe mode where the applications aren't running, it much more effective this way.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BigSigh

BigSigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:13 AM

Thank you dc3 :thumbsup: I really appreciate you're help and advice. :flowers:

#4 BigSigh

BigSigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:53 AM

Erm... I posted this in the wrong place sorry:o I'm Running Windows xp. :thumbsup:

I tried downloading SP4 but it tells me it's not compatible with my system:( Any advice?:flowers:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

Are you talking about the Office XP SP3?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 BigSigh

BigSigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

I have WindowsXP
and using
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Premium

Sorry :thumbsup: Please don't shout at me :flowers:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:54 AM

Ain't no one here shouting at ya. :thumbsup: I'm just trying to understand what we have going on here, the only service pack three that I know of are for Windows 2000 and for XP Office. Service Pack 2 for Window XP is the latest, what service pack do you currently have?

#8 BigSigh

BigSigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:01 AM

Sorry for all the trouble and thanks for all your help. :thumbsup: I guess I need to go update SP2? :flowers:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:37 AM

If you only have SP1 by all means download SP2. If you are not sure which one you have you can right click on My Computer> choose Properties and it should be listed under System on that page.

Edit: There was no trouble, I'm always glad to help.

Edited by dc3, 19 August 2007 - 02:39 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

I just found out that there is a beta version for a XP service pack 3, and what I found out is that this is a collection of hotfixes from Microsoft, but some of them have not been tested and my cause instability. I would not use this.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

The message refers to an exploit that affects Microsoft Office products. As such you should download the Service Packs for MS Office from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
This includes all the patches for Service Packs 1 through 3.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users