Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 merthyrblue

merthyrblue

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

Have just bought a second hand computer with Mandriva Linux installed as the default Operating System. So could someone tell me how i can reformat the hard drive and clear anything else that the previous owner may have installed on the computer. There are two partitions on the hard drive. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

Do you have any type of boot disk at all, either Linux or Windows? Are you trying to save the partitions? Are you reinstalling Linux?

#3 merthyrblue

merthyrblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

I want to install Windows and i don't want to save any of the partitions and i won't be re-installing Linux.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

When you install the Windows boot disk, you will be able to reformat the disk. Just delete your partitions and do a full format. Unless you are going to be overly tempted to try and ferret out data from before you formatted.

#5 merthyrblue

merthyrblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:14 AM

I would like to wipe the operating system as i already have a computer running Mandriva Linux. I have just come across a complete set of Windows Vista Recovery disks i had forgotten all about. Would it be alright to use them?

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:02 PM

1) I know nothing about Vista but I cannot use my XP recovery CDs on another machine (they carry certain drivers and data for and about my PC)
2)The install key for Vista (if you're using it another PC) will already be taken and make your copy of Vista invalid

Suggest moving this to a Windows Forum

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users