Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Data Trying To Reinstall Some Drivers After Hard Reformat

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 FuchsiaIce

FuchsiaIce

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

After a hard, unplanned reformat of my son's Dell Inpiron 1100 I had some problems that I solved with help from here in this forum. Now, there are ten items in the Device Manager all with yellow exclamation points, four of those items listed as unknown devices. I've downloaded all the drivers off the Dell Drivers and Downloads site that are relevant (don't get me started about Dell not including the Drivers and Utilities CD and then not sending me one because the machines are out of warranty!). These items don't match up with anything I've downloaded from Dell's drivers site.

When I do a reinstall through Device Manager all I get is "error, invalid data." Here is the list of the marked items in the Device Manager and which ones are marked on the screen as unknown device (by running the reinstall you get what the item is really called at the end of the wizard):

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (listed in Device Manager as unknown device)
Microsoft AC Adapter (listed in Device Manager a unknown device)
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer (listed in Device Manager as unknown device)
Video Codecs
Microsoft Composite Battery (listed in Device Manager as unknown device)

Now, all the battery items... I am running the computer plugged into the outlet in the wall, but I can also run it by battery power. However, when I try and run the BIOS driver from the Dell support site it won't run and gives me the error window that says "The AC Adapter and battery must be plugged in before the BIOS can be flashed." They are plugged in and working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Fuchsia Ice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users