Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rip Off Dsl Tomorrow Probably And Digital Tv

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

Well, I thought I thought I would never get dsl. We cant afford it really for now.

After years of no DSL out here in the boonies we get it and we happen to be super close to the exchange.

Well my phone company wants to charge or does charge 40 bucks a month for 384kbps speed dsl. AT&T will give me 768kbps for 20.00 or so. My company wants 80 bucks a month for 1mb speed while AT&T only wants 46.00 for 6mb!

I read AT&T is crap anyways and they give personal data to the government but how come my company cant be competitive in the least?

I was told by them AT&T is trying to run small telco's out so they can have no competition and their dsl is "at a loss"....

Anyways I hope this all works out. I am pulling a whopping 42kbps on dial up as of now so this will be a BIG jump even if I cant get/afford the speed I want.

They also offer a 4mb/1mb up for 120 bucks a month! :thumbsup: In france they have like 40mbps for 30 bucks! Whats wrong with america?

This whole thing is because of a bundle that my telco offers! We are going to SHARE the dsl connection with my family next door wirelessly and he is going to help pay for it because he hates dial up too. Plus we get a bigger long distance coverage, 100 nationwide long distance minutes a month and a whole lot of "tv over the phone line" channels(like cable or direct tv 40 bucks a month plan). In total its going to be 80 bucks a month but we are paying 60 now for just dial up.

Nothing like free tv.... :flowers:

Thats about all I like about my telco it has good package deals and a better and cheaper tv than direct tv!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

I think that the reason internet is so much faster in france is that noone is ever on the internet when someone else is. So, instead of 40 people in your neighborhood chewing up your 10MBps bandwidth, I bet there's one or two in France.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

Totally off subject, but I had to reply to Ryan 3000's signature quote:

"How precious, above all wealth, is good counsel," tell me where that came from and win the grand prize!!!
(5 Monopoly dollars)

The quote is said by Teiresias, A blind prophet and said to Creon, The King of Thebes. It is from the "The Tragedies of Sophocles" To which Creon replies "As folly, I think, is the worst mischief."

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

Well we will get DSL NEXT monday when we return from vacation.

We could not get the tv at the moment after taxes it was too high. I dont care for the tv anyways but discovery would have been nice.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

Well good luck and enjoy it cgm3. But man I'm pretty amazed at those price figures. And yes ATT will sell at a loss to get more subscribers to drive the little guy out. They are profitable in other regions so a hit there don't hurt them like the other guy. Plus they get to claim more "happy" subscribers in thier ads. :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

I think the quotation is from Antigone.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

You are correct John. That is the particular work out of that collection. The others in the collection being "Oedipus The King", "Oedipus at Colonus", "Ajax", "Electra", "Trachiniae" and "Philoctetes"

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users