Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Adsl Modem Is Not Giving An Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter_Thompson

Hunter_Thompson

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

Hi everyone, having a frustrating night getting my ADSL2+ connection going. Just got a Billion 7402G modem/router delivered and I am trying to get it working on an XP PC.

My NIC card works fine, and has the latest drivers. I plug in the modem as described in the manual, and follow all configuration instructions including - Select the Obtain an IP address automatically and the Obtain DNS server address automatically radio buttons.

But I am not being issued an IP address. The manual says this should just be automatic and has no recourse if it is not.

I set an IP address manually within the range of the router, and was able to logon to the modem via the webgui. But no internet access.

Billion support tells me "You should only need to login to router with default settings, navigate to Quick Start page, enter your ISP login details & apply, router should then connect, when finished save config to flash. Nothing else should be required, computer should automatically connect. Ensure that software firewalls aren't blocking access."

OK, so to do this, I need to put in the manual IP address... why is the manual saying to set my LAN connection to obtain IP and DNS setting automatically,and why is this not working for me? Anyway I change the settings to manual and reboot, try the suggestion. All firewalls are disabled.

I have now manually entered an IP address for my PC that allows me to login to the router. Without doing this I cannot even get to this setup page so that is why I ask why I have had to figure out to enter an IP address instead of selecting the "Obtain IP Address and DNS Server automatically" as stated in the Billion PDF manual. So now I have logged in to the router, and have entered my credentials. I had a "successful" window pop up, and a notice baloon saying "A new device is now available on your network."
It says the PPPoE Connection is established, and there is a section that says a ping to google is successful. But I have no internet access.

OK, reconnected everything - power, telephone line... left LAN cable unplugged and rebooted computer. Turned on modem waited until all lights stay lit. Connected LAN cable, and it still just hangs on aquiring network address, I'm not getting issued an IP address.

OK so I tried plugging the LAN cable from the laptop to the Billion and it is the exact same problem. No IP address being issued. If I manually set an IP address, I can login to the router but not connect to the internet.

Interestly this also happend with wireless. I found my wireless network in the list of available networks when I put my wireless card back in my laptop. So I tried to connect and I could connect to router, but was not issued an IP address. I could login to the modem.

Latest firmware installed.

So I ended up spending all night on trying to just get an IP address assigned to my PC from the Billion 7402G modem/router. Going into the properties of my Local Area Connection, selecting TCP/IP properties and setting "Obtain IP & DNS Servers automatically" is the 3rd step of the instruction manual and I cannot get past it. Nowhere in these instructions does it say to manually assign an IP address so if I had not have figured this out for myself then I would not have even seen the router setup page. It is not a defective NIC as I have attemped to connect via 2 different PC's.

I know the following should be true
- The router should act as a DHCP server, issuing IP addresses. I have confirmed the the DHCP setting is turned on to DHCP Server.
- If I manually eneter IP address and manage to be able get into the router setup page and enter my username and password for my ISP in the Quick Setup Page, I should then have internet access.

6 hours of staring at "aquiring network address" is getting me down - any advice greatly appreciated. I have created a "support ticket" with Billion - www.billion.com.au/helpd...b3RtYWlsLmNvbQ==

Upon doing a LOT of Googling and MSN messages with broadband loving friends, I determine the following:
"3rd party firewalls that are 'disabled' or 'turned off' often cause problems; since you are having a problem I suggest uninstall it completely and cleanly or properly configure it for LAN access. While kinda rare it IS possible for a firewall to block a Dhcp packet. Otherwise it sounds like a defective modem/router. With a new router, or one that was reset to factory defaults, or one that you have checked to make sure the Dhcp server is enabled, you should be getting a dynamic IP assigned on your PC. When you are connected to the modem/router with a static IP on your PC did you manage to get a connection between the modem and your ISP (this is not the same as asking if you could access the internet via your browser)? If not, is it possible that your ISP tracks the MAC address of the modem? If so, you have to register the new modem with them. If you did get a connection with the ISP then open a Command Window and try these 3 pings. You are looking for success (4 Replies) or failure (all packets lost). If one ping fails you needn't try the rest. "IPRouter" is the IP address of your modem/router. ping IPRouter ping 216.109.112.135 ping www.yahoo.com"

When I get into the router's setup page, there is a section to enter my account name and password from my ISP (PPPoE settings, I believe). I enter my details here and press connect. It says "connecting" for about 5 seconds, then says "connected". But still no net access. Does this answer your question about getting access to the ISP? (TPG Sydney by the way)... But the router setup page had a test screen that said it pinged google sucessfully.
"That means that you DO have internet access. At least the router does. The pings will give us more information about your PC. When you set the static IP on your PC you did also set the Default Gateway and DNS server to the router's address, right?"

That is exactly what I did to get into the router setup.

Absolutely no mention in any Billion manual I can find that says to do this!
Any advice? Thought I would give BleepingComputer a shot. Cheers.

Hunter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:54 AM

Hi Hunter, I have the same router as you, I would set your router back to factory defaults (press and hold the button at the back for a few seconds). Now go back to XP go to>control panel>local area connection>click properties>TCIP and click properties>select obtain an internet address automatically>and the same with DNS. Click ok to finish.
Now open up IE type in 192.168.1.254 and press enter.
Enter the default username and password.
in the router go to quick start Enter your username & password (TPGs username)
DNS set to automatic
Time zone enter your details.
Save and flach router
Everthing shold be set to automatically obtain but as for TPGs set uo Im not sure have a look at there site or call tech support
http://www.tpg.com.au/
MCP
MSDST

#3 Hunter_Thompson

Hunter_Thompson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:53 AM

Thank you for your post, Monty007.

Your post describes exactly what I have already tried, except fort the firmware flash.

Even though I have done everything you mentioned, and the person who sold me the modem says it had latest firmware flashed before he sent it to me, I will try it all again and post a result. I hope to be home within the next hour or so to start.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:23 AM

Sorry meant save config to router. Ok once you have done the above (set up router) go back to your PC and try to go to http://www.google.com if that doesnt work in the title bar of IE type in http://72.14.253.103/ and see if you can get to google.com

Edited by Monty007, 15 August 2007 - 11:48 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#5 Hunter_Thompson

Hunter_Thompson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

My modem now seems fine. {In fact better than fine, excellent download speeds and wireless network is working fantastic. Have not tried VOIP yet but plan to in a few weeks.}

After not really getting anywhere with the things that have been suggested to try, I decided to create a new partition on my HD and install windows fresh.

After this fresh install, I was issued an IP address by my router within a few seconds, and had internet access instantaneously. I now have my ADSL2+ connection downloading very nicely.

I am intrigued as to what settings in my old Windows setup were preventing me getting online? I am sure that the NIC drivers are the same in each install.

Thanks for the suggestions made in this thread. The main aim of getting online has been achieved, however any suggestions on why it did not work or where to look to figure out the conflict would also be appreciated.

I setup uTorrent as my peer-to-peer client, and read up on port forwarding. However it seems that the Firewall on the Billion modems is too restrictive for uTorrent. Every setting I try and make that is outlined in the online setup tutorials does not allow uTorrent through, but when I disable the hardware FIrewall on the Billion uTorrent kicks along at very fast speeds. I tried to make an "exception" in the list of ports it allows incoming and outgoing traffic, but no success. I guess this means I have to setup a software firewall but I thought a hardware firewall was a good thing to have on an ADSL connection? Or perhaps when downloading with uTorrent (which is 100% of my online time) I need to disable and turn it on when doing general surfing/browsing?

Has anyone successfully setup a Billion hardware firewall and is using uTorrent?

Failing this, what are people liking for software firewalls these days? There is obviously the built in Windows Firewall... I was thinking of ZoneAlarm, read a few good things. I have a bit of a thing against AVG (software calls home and slows down my laptop significantly).

Thanks again for any advice.

Edited by Hunter_Thompson, 16 August 2007 - 09:01 PM.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

You will need to open a port on your router so Bit torrent to work if the fire wall on your router is enabled, have a look at the link http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...-7402gindex.htm

Edited by Monty007, 17 August 2007 - 02:30 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#7 Hunter_Thompson

Hunter_Thompson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the link. The more I research this issue, the more I realise that people with Billion modems that use peer to peer apps do not use the Billion firewall.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...amp;p=-1#bottom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users