Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should The Legal Drinking Age In The U.S.A. Be Lowered?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

I just read an MSNBC article about how some people are wanting the legal drinking age to be lowered from 21 to 18. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/?GT1=10252

Personally, I strongly disagree with this idea. These young adults do not need the inhibitions that alcohol brings. Already, most are irresponsible and are drinking underage; what makes them deserve to have the age limit lowered? In my opinion, most 18 year olds are still immature and irresponsible, and should not have the responsibility that alcohol demands.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

I have to say that would be a really stupid idea... I think that it should be banned period IMO. I really dislike people that drink.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

what makes them deserve to have the age limit lowered? In my opinion, most 18 year olds are still immature and irresponsible, and should not have the responsibility that alcohol demands.

Well, these same immature and irresponsible kids are old enough to shoulder the responsibility of fighting and dying for our freedoms in the armed services. They also are considered adults in every other practical facet of life, why should they not be able to slug down a cold brew at the end of a hard days work?

Age is not necessarily an accurate indicator of a persons maturity or responsibility.I would make the age limit 19 though because many 18 year olds are still in high school.

I have to say that would be a really stupid idea... I think that it should be banned period IMO. I really dislike people that drink.

-Steve

Steve, with all due respect, we have been there, done that. It was called prohibition. It made criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens, taught disrespect for the law and gave us the most crime prone era of our history to boot. The only other comparable event too that that I can think of is the so called War on Drugs. Look at the problems that have arisen from that debacle, gangs, massive smuggling, general disrespect for the law etc... (this topic should be in another thread though). The same problems prohibition caused us.

It also left us with a black mark on the Constitution, an Amendment that denies an American the right to do something. Not exactly something I am proud to see in our Bill of Rights.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

At 18, you may be able to join the military and die for America's freedom, but that doesn't mean you should be allowed to consume mind-altering alcohol. Alcohol, when taken in excess, can cause you to do things you wouldn't normally do, and the average 18 year old is more prone to getting excessively drunk than a 21 year old. Sure 21 year olds often get excessively drunk, but I think there's more people doing it underage than there are people who are of the appropriate age. And as I said, the fact that so many people drink underage just shows their lack of immaturity and inability to obey the law. I don't think we should reward their disobedience by lowering the drinking age.

Edited by solaris32, 15 August 2007 - 11:11 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

what makes them deserve to have the age limit lowered? In my opinion, most 18 year olds are still immature and irresponsible, and should not have the responsibility that alcohol demands.

Well, these same immature and irresponsible kids are old enough to shoulder the responsibility of fighting and dying for our freedoms in the armed services. They also are considered adults in every other practical facet of life, why should they not be able to slug down a cold brew at the end of a hard days work?

Age is not necessarily an accurate indicator of a persons maturity or responsibility.I would make the age limit 19 though because many 18 year olds are still in high school.

-Steve

Steve, with all due respect, we have been there, done that. It was called prohibition. It made criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens, taught disrespect for the law and gave us the most crime prone era of our history to boot. The only other comparable event too that that I can think of is the so called War on Drugs. Look at the problems that have arisen from that debacle, gangs, massive smuggling, general disrespect for the law etc... (this topic should be in another thread though). The same problems prohibition caused us.

It also left us with a black mark on the Constitution, an Amendment that denies an American the right to do something. Not exactly something I am proud to see in our Bill of Rights.

I can see what you are saying, but atleast maybe enforce it a bit more then, eh? I mean I can see why lowering it for US Armed forces, I am going in to the Army in April when I turn 17 but I do not want to drink nor see any reason to... my uncle makes homebrew all the time.
-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:30 PM

It's your choice 'steveTOSS' whether you drink or not.You are bright enough to say no to Alcohol.Choose mates in the Army who don't drink,and you won't be tempted.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

Lowering the drinking age will help curb the youth excess drinking issue we have. I drank like a fish out of water until I became legal now i drink 1/8 as much as I used to. Everyone wants to taste the forbidden fruit. some friends of mine were not allowed to smoke at home underage and i guess about 50% that did smoke are now pack a day habits or better. My Dad always said "i dont care if i can smell it just dont do it in front of me" only issue was i lived with mom.

Posted Image

#8 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

At 18, you may be able to join the military and die for America's freedom, but that doesn't mean you should be allowed to consume mind-altering alcohol. Alcohol, when taken in excess, can cause you to do things you wouldn't normally do, and the average 18 year old is more prone to getting excessively drunk than a 21 year old. Sure 21 year olds often get excessively drunk, but I think there's more people doing it underage than there are people who are of the appropriate age. And as I said, the fact that so many people drink underage just shows their lack of immaturity and inability to obey the law. I don't think we should reward their disobedience by lowering the drinking age.

Age is not a determination of maturity. I have friends who are in their forties and fifties who are totally irresponsible and yes, immature in regards to alcohol.

At 18 years of age in America, you are considered an adult. You may obtain credit (debt) on your own, you may marry whomever you wish and any crimes you commit you will be tried for as an adult. Your parents no longer have any legal control over you and as I have already mentioned, you can hold the power of life and death in your hands for our country. Thats a pretty awesome responsibility for someone you don't trust to drink a beer to have isn't it? At 18 you are either an adult with all the freedom and responsibility that comes with it or you are not.

Do you wish to be responsible for your children until they are 21? Perhaps you wish to be responsible for them until that age but most people don't. They want their children to move on, start their own families and live their own lives just like they themselves had done. And what do you do after that, change the drinking age to 25 because after all, 21 year olds are just children leaving the nest. They are too irresponsible to make this decision on their own. And on and on it goes.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:28 AM

One of the things that strikes me is that there are 18 year olds out there that are having no trouble getting beer and booze now and they haven't exhibited any special talents for driving while drunk, in fact their lack of experience makes them that much more dangerous when they drink and drive. We all know that we are not suppose to drink and drive, but the reality of the situation is that you don't drive by a bar after closing time and see a bunch of cars still there because the conscientious driver called a cab to take them home.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:17 AM

If you take a look at this Wikipedia site you will see that a large majority of the world's countries have a legal drinking age of 18 (and quite a few have lower limits). I think that if the States were to lower their drinking age to 18 it wouldn't cause society to crumble.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

2 things.

1. People use the argument of dying for their country, they deserve a cold beer. Well maybe we should raise the enlistment age to 21, and not lower the drinking age.

2. most other countries alcohol is a regular beverage, you wouldn't chug water and have 6 bottels in a row, why have that much beer in a row? America is known to be a little excessive, Big macs, super size fries, alcohol.

Why make something legal which alot of 18 or less are doing anyways? This would just give people the feeling that the age has been lowered, so has the responsibility. I personally have seen too many friends arrested, and even killed in car accidents in which alcohol was involved.

I can understand maybe having one or two beers just to hang out with friends at the end of the day, but to get hammered , throw up, drive your car into a tree and pass out, what's so fun or good about that?

Edited by ussr1943, 16 August 2007 - 06:01 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#12 Rawe

Rawe

• Members
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

Here in Finland, legal drinking age is exactly, 18.

Although, you can't go out and buy bottle(s) of alcohol over 21% -- under the age of 20. As for drinking in the bar, you can drink whatever you want at and over of age 18.

If you take a look at this Wikipedia site you will see that a large majority of the world's countries have a legal drinking age of 18 (and quite a few have lower limits). I think that if the States were to lower their drinking age to 18 it wouldn't cause society to crumble.

Agreed. Of course there are immature and irresponsible folks out there, but there's still *same* amount or even more of irresponsible and immature ppl out there in the age of 21. Who says it's all about the age?

It's only few years anyway.

I can understand maybe having one or two beers just to hang out with friends at the end of the day, but to get hammered , throw up, drive your car into a tree and pass out, what's so fun or good about that?

Indeed. It's only for party occasions and fun weekends really. If it goes excessive then you're in trouble and even you know it if it happens to you.
Hi there, stranger!

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:25 AM

You can ruin your life at 18 anyways (credit cards, dieing in the military, commit murder) etc.. why not make it fair.

Plus why do we have to be over protective as compared to Europe. Germany's drinking age is 16 for beer and alcohol. Hard liquor is 18.

Edited by yano, 16 August 2007 - 07:39 AM.

#14 Rawe

Rawe

• Members
  • 2,363 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

You can ruin your life at 18 anyways (credit cards, dieing in the military, commit murder) etc.. why not make it fair.

You can ruin your life at any age anyways.

Plus why do we have to be over protective as compared to Europe. Germany's drinking age is 16 for beer and alcohol. Hard liquor is 18.

That's a good legislation but I'd still say it'd be better if it's just 18 -- and 20 for hard liquor (if you're buying from store).

Alcohol doesn't cause nearly as much issues as tobacco for example; only if the use of it is excessive. What's the legal smoking age in the States?
Hi there, stranger!

#15 Rawe

Rawe

• Members
  • 2,363 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

One of the things that strikes me is that there are 18 year olds out there that are having no trouble getting beer and booze now and they haven't exhibited any special talents for driving while drunk, in fact their lack of experience makes them that much more dangerous when they drink and drive. We all know that we are not suppose to drink and drive, but the reality of the situation is that you don't drive by a bar after closing time and see a bunch of cars still there because the conscientious driver called a cab to take them home.

It would never ever come across my mind to go drinking and driving. Like said, it all comes down to the person. If they even think about it, they wouldn't deserve one drink nor a car for that matter.
Hi there, stranger!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users