Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

I booted up my computer a little while ago, and the CD Drive will not open. I've tried all the tricks, I've tried ejecting it through Windows, and yes, Windows is reconizing the drive and saying it is in working condition and can read the disc thats in it. Any ideas on how to get it open?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

I have used a paper clip to manually eject CDs in the past.
Here's that exact steps that I found in my research.

Steps to manually eject discs

1.Close all programs and shut down the computer.
2.Unplug the PC from the power outlet.
3.Locate the manual release hole on the CD-Writer faceplate.(Note: edited out HP)
4.Find something small enough to be inserted into the release hole, such as a sturdy paper clip. Straighten the paper clip so that it can be inserted into the release hole.
5.Insert the paper clip straight into the release hole until resistance is felt.
6. Once the resistance is felt, keep inserting the paper clip in a pumping motion. The drawer should slowly come out about a quarter of an inch.
7. Remove the paper clip.
8. Firmly grasp the edges of the CD drawer and gently pull until the drawer is all of the way out.
9. Remove the CD.
10.Once the disc has been removed, plug the PC back in to the power outlet and restart the system.

Source
JC

#3 OmegamB

OmegamB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

I have used a paper clip to manually eject CDs in the past.
Here's that exact steps that I found in my research.

Steps to manually eject discs

1.Close all programs and shut down the computer.
2.Unplug the PC from the power outlet.
3.Locate the manual release hole on the CD-Writer faceplate.(Note: edited out HP)
4.Find something small enough to be inserted into the release hole, such as a sturdy paper clip. Straighten the paper clip so that it can be inserted into the release hole.
5.Insert the paper clip straight into the release hole until resistance is felt.
6. Once the resistance is felt, keep inserting the paper clip in a pumping motion. The drawer should slowly come out about a quarter of an inch.
7. Remove the paper clip.
8. Firmly grasp the edges of the CD drawer and gently pull until the drawer is all of the way out.
9. Remove the CD.
10.Once the disc has been removed, plug the PC back in to the power outlet and restart the system.

Source

I've tried doing that, however my drive doesn't seem to have a manual release hole.

Posted Image

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

Odd...I don't think I have worked on a computer without one. Is it a brand computer, or a clone? Any idea of the make and model of the CD drive?
JC

#5 OmegamB

OmegamB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

Odd...I don't think I have worked on a computer without one. Is it a brand computer, or a clone? Any idea of the make and model of the CD drive?

I checked the device manager in Ubuntu and it said I have a TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552B. My computer is a Emachines W3050.

Posted Image

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

On page 34 for the emachine, it shows the manual eject on left-hand side of the drive towards the Activity Indicator
See this- http://downloads.emachines.com/userguides/...serGuide_en.pdf

Was the drive an upgrade? I found a manual for the specific drive also. It also mentions using the paperclip in the emergency hole to open.(under troubleshooting section)
- http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/...552B_E-User.pdf

Hope that helps,

Edited by Joshuacat, 14 August 2007 - 08:56 PM.

JC

#7 OmegamB

OmegamB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

On page 34 for the emachine, it shows the manual eject on left-hand side of the drive towards the Activity Indicator
See this- http://downloads.emachines.com/userguides/...serGuide_en.pdf

Was the drive an upgrade? I found a manual for the specific drive also. It also mentions using the paperclip in the emergency hole to open.(under troubleshooting section)
- http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/...552B_E-User.pdf

Hope that helps,

I tried to use a paperclip, yet it still wouldn't budge.

Posted Image

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

you have to get the clip in just he right spot, you'll feel a litle rsistance, push hard, then you may have to manually pull it out when it opens a little

you have tried powering down for a minute or so?

Edited by DaChew, 14 August 2007 - 09:49 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 bringthepain

bringthepain

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:17 AM

Is there a disk inside the drive? Because if you still cant open the door with a paper clip that would lend itself to being jammed shut

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:23 AM

Some drives will not open using the emergency eject unless powered off. Try it with the computer turned off completely.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users