Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2.5 Instead Of 4 Gigs Of Ram...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 indarkflames

indarkflames

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

I own an Alienware Area-51 7500 with XP x32, and an SLI enabled motherboard. I am recently experimenting with having 4 gigs of ram (4x1).
Now, System info shows 2.5 gigs of ram, Task Manager shows 2.62, and Cpuz shows all 4096 megabytes. I know that XP itself (x32) cannot work with more than 3.5 gigs (right?), but then what about my other 1 gig or ram?
When it says that it has only 2.5, does it at the least still use all 4 of my gigs of ram?
I also heard something like SLI boards only being able to go up to 2.5 gigs, but than why is the board able to have 16 gigs of ram??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

2.5 gB is low - are you sure that you're using the /pae switch in your boot menu? Check boot.ini (a hidden file in the root directory (C:\)) to see.

Check your Event Viewer to see if there's any errors related to the memory (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).

Download this free memory tester and put it on a bootable CD (there's instructions on the website) and boot from the CD to test your memory. Let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (but overnight is better). If you start getting errors you can stop the test and start trying to figure out what the cause is. Here's the link: http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

I am not using the /pae switch, or this /3gb switch I have been seeing on Google.
I actually feel afraid of messing around with my boot.ini file...Don't want to piss off the computer, if that might be the case.
The only error Event Viewer shows is Access Failure to my Raid drive, and this error does also pop up accasionally on the bottom right side of the screen...again, I do not know what it means, or what it implies. If you have any ideas about that as well, please let me know.
I haven't done Memtest yet, but I do not believe that the ram are faulty. The computer came with 2x1 and 2/.5 rams, and it still said 2.5 gigs, and I changed the 2x.5 to 2x1 and it still says 2.5 gigs.
I would also like to know whether I am trying to do all this just to 'see' 4 gigs or whatnot on my system information, or does it actually affect the perfomance?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

Without testing the RAM you won't know if it's good or bad. Without knowing that, the rest of the troubleshooting (IMO) is futile.

As for what it's doing vs what it's showing, the only thing to do would be to benchmark the system with the original 2.5 gB RAM setup and then do it again with the 4 gB of RAM. But, once again, if you don't know if the RAM is good then you can't make a valid comparison. The difference between 2.5 and 4 gB of RAM isn't very noticeable until you really start stressing the RAM (which most applications just don't do).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users