Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 McGhee

McGhee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

I have a computer that I built a few years ago that was running fine up until just recently. The problem started when I was playing a game and the computer shut down. I suspected the graphic card might be overheating so I opened the case and let it cool down and then started it up again and that seemed to solve the problem.....for a while. A couple months later it died again and having the case open didn't seem to matter this time. I replaced the power supply and that solved the problem for about two weeks. Then it began dying again only during gameplay but a few days later it started just dying no matter what. At the time I was about to move so I didn't worry about it until I got to my new house. I replaced the power supply with a good one and it started up, stayed on for 10 minutes and died. I cleaned out all the dust and that didn't seem to help so now I am wondering if maybe the motherboard went bad. I am going to check to make sure everything is in place properly and try firing it up again.

Not sure what specs you will need so will list what might be helpful to know. I realize many of my parts are old but they were fine for now until I can upgrade.

Motherboard is Chaintech nVidia nForce 2 I;tra 400 + MCP
AMD K7 Socket-A ATX
AMD Athlon XP 1900
512 MB Memory
nVidia 5900FX graphics card with 256 MB ram

Thanks for any help you can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

You might want to try removing the heatsink and clean it up and apply new thermal compound
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 McGhee

McGhee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:02 PM

I just opened up the case and cleaned the dust out THOROUGHLY. There was A LOT of dust globbed in the fan of the graphics card, which explains a lot. I also managed to get a ton of dust bunnies out of the processor fan too. Now I am hoping this was the problem and it won't shut down anymore. We shall see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users