Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hot Mail rich text editor supported by Mozilla

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:15 PM

I have just installed Mozilla Firefox . Does Mozilla Firefox support Hot Mail's Rich Text Editor? When I composed my first e-mail rich text editing was available. When I went to reply it had dissappeared. Open tags are showing and the contact list looks completly different. Is there some kind of tweak or configuration I dont know of? Im lost. Please keep any answers fairly simple. As Im light years away from being a whiz at all of this. Lol

Edited by scarlett, 04 July 2004 - 11:17 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:11 PM

NO.

Hotmail, being a MS product, uses proprietary versions of internet software. You will need to use IE for most of MS sites (gee, I wonder WHY?), as well as a few others that do not support web standards.

Regards,
John

PS, and this is in spite of a article in SLATE a couple of days ago recommending users "dump IE"---Slate is a subsidiary of MSN/MS.

Edited by jgweed, 07 July 2004 - 06:16 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the response jgweed. Ive since decided to uninstall Firefox. As Hot-mail is my primary e-mail program, It is just to inconvievent to use another browser. Ive just installed the latest Microsoft upgrades. And I use Ad-aware 6.0, Spybot- Search and Destroy, Zone Alarm, and Avast. So I guess Ill take my chances for now. By the way, what excactly does the term ( support web standards ) mean ? Have a great day! And thanks again!!
Posted Image

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

A web standard is a procedure or set of rules that many different companies, vendors, programmers etc agree upon when it comes to a certain task. That way programs and hardware created by many people will be able to work properly with each other and the same data.

Microsoft though, tends to not follow the standards that are created, but rather does things a little differently which causes non-microsoft software to sometimes have problems using their services.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:18 PM

First, I would suggest that you use firefox as your default browser, and only use IE when it is absolutely necessary (for example, Hotmail---although you can always use the safe and secure plain text for messages). Every day, new flaws are discovered in IE, and Microsoft is rather slow(an understatement to say the least) to issue patches, so you are continually at risk if you use it as your defaut browser.

Second, I can only hope that as IE looses market share to alternative browsers, those sites that do not support web standards will be pressured to do some fast programming.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users