Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MarkUK

MarkUK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Hello,

The problem I have is that I have two laptops both on a wireless connection. They used to be networked fine until one died and I had to re-install it.

Now for neither love nor money can I get them to talk to each other. They can both access the internet through the netgear wireless hub, but can't see each other on the workgroup. Not even to ping to through command prompt. Niether have static IP's and both have different dynamic IP's assigned by the hub. they also both have unique computer names and are both assigned to the same name workgroup.

They can both access the web through the hub, but can't see each other. All firewalls and virus software is off.

And... urm... oh yeah... they both use Windows XP home SP2.

Like I said this is a bummer 'cause it all used to work great!

Please, any ideas?

Thank you!

EDIT:

Oh yeah! they also both have two user loggins, one called 'katie' and one called 'mark'. both of them use the same passwords on each computer.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 August 2007 - 06:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hmmmm, With ping not working, that's rough. Small/incomplete checklist:
NetBIOS service running?
NetBIOS over TCP/IP and possibly over the wireless protocol set up in WINS tab of the Network properties?
Worstation service running?
Microsoft file and printer sharing enabled in TCP/IP properties?
Network Connections service running?
In the router, any restrictions to not reply to ping or something of that sort?
Enabling Guest account has nothing to do with ping, but it does with subsequent file sharing.
XP is funny, it doesn't look like user name has anything to do with it (that's W2K and Xp-pro features).
Anyway, if you can't ping'm it's in the network connections department at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users