Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fedora Is Messed On External

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

i just got Fedora 7 from linux pro magazine and just finished installing this morning. i installed it on my external usb drive. i installed every package except for the virtualization packages. the installation finished and i booted into fedora 7. GRUB loaded fine it started load fedora..then it told me there was some file already on the usb drive it needed to load..and continued on with the booting up..after about 2 minutes..i got 2 error messages about a command not being found and a directory missing..i couldnt get the exact message because it was moving too fast but it was in /etc. ive installed twice and i keep getting the same error message. Does anyone have an idea whats wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Pretty tough to know what to fix without knowing what the error message is. Does the install completely die?

#3 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

i got sorta the complete error message. and the install works fine. it installs perfectly but when the installs dne and i boot into fedora ill get this error after udev loads

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 944

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 946

then after each of them i cant tell which cuz its going os fast..itll say some sort of file and then command not found and file or directory missing.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

udev is the device driver naming something or other, so I am guessing that it doesn't like your hardware. Are you able to get to a terminal (alt-f2, alt-f3, etc)?

#5 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

ill have to go try. udev does load..its something after udev..it has something to do with the hard drive because when the harddrive loads..fedora tries to load a file in it but then i get an error and it says the files already on it and it continues..plus in those error messages the words i cant i see the word USB. ill try to get in..

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

Ok, wait. So then you are fully able to load the system? Then the error messages will be in the boot log then, and that should be in /var/log/messages. I have an error message about usb when my system boots also, but my usb works just fine, so I have never worried about it. Try running a less /var/log/messages |grep usb and see if anything shows up there.

#7 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

no i cant load it..like i said after udev load i get those 946 944 messages and they just stream down the screen

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

Ok. When grub comes up (and before it start loading) see if you can hit the 'c' key so that it just loads the console. I'm not sure if grub has the ability to load a repair console in Fedora or not, but if it does and you can boot into that, it will give you a minimal boot. You should be able to get a recovery console by booting into the install medium, and then typing linux rescue at the prompt.

#9 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

GRUB didnt work, alt F3 and alt F2 didnt work. but booting into the rescue console from the CD worked..but i dont know what to do from there.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

You need to mount your hard drive, and then run the command I gave you above. I don't know how much you know about this, so I don't know exactly how much hand-holding you need here. :thumbsup:

#11 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

:thumbsup: i know how to mount my partition. ill reboot in the recov console and run that command..just a question what should i be looking for when i hit enter with that command?

#12 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

ok well i mounted it and ran the command. i got file not found message.

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Then manually look and see if it is there. Perhaps you need to be su?

#14 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

how can i manually look? i cant boot into fedora :|

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

You booted into a recovery console, right? If you can mount your hard drive from there, then you can do a cd to /var/log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users