Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diablo II Freezing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gerardmathews

Gerardmathews

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:04 PM

This Forum has been much help to me. It helped me rid my machine of a few major problems (thank-you Grinler, you rule).

I have just begun to play Diablo II expansion (very fun by the way) and have been running into a freeze problem. My entire system just stops and emits a lour tone through the speakers (or freezes because of the sound about it is about to make I don't know). I cannot find a pattern in the problem as of yet. Sometimes it happens after only a few minutes other times it doesn't happen for three hours.

I thought i might repair/reinstall windows but since i have installed sp2 it says i am trying to install and older version and wont let me.

I have used norton to search for system problems and have found non. I have not scanned my disks i will try that next.

As far as I know there are no programs trying to pop up outside the game window.

Oh, yeah yesterday my computer froze (with the tone as usual) while i was running winamp. It was the only thing going at the time.

Maybe it has something to do with the sound because I can leave my system on for a full day and it wont freeze. Only when diablo is running or in that last case winamp.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:21 AM

What kind of video and what kind of sound card to you have, and how much RAM does your computer have installed? Generally, off-line freezing is caused by lack of ram either in your video card or in your computer.
I presume you have updated card drivers, and have checked the gamesite for any patches they have.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Gerardmathews

Gerardmathews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:36 PM

I am currently using/running:
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs platinum
ATI Radeon 7000 Series distplay (64 mb card)
512 mb ram
Pent 4 1.5 GHz

I have searched for game patches and I was told my verion was newer.

I believe that I have updated the card drivers but the web sites were not the easiest to navigate. I uninstalled the drivers and loaded the lastest one they posted.

Most of the freezing does occur while gaming online (5 times in one hour last night), but the winamp freezes (twice now) both occured while there was nothing else running (not even a visual or internet brouwser) but the computer display was running (it has never frozen while I left it on overnight and the screen goes into powersave mode).

#4 Gerardmathews

Gerardmathews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

The video card is brandnew (my last one just burnt out) and uses a different slot on my motherboard than the last one. I had been using the top slot (agp I think, I always confuse the two names). But now I have a card that uses the same type that my sound and network and firefire cards use.

The sound card I have had for over a year now.

I did just re-install windows and format my drive because I had other problems with this computer.

#5 Gerardmathews

Gerardmathews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

Your quote?

It is Wittgenstein is it not?

I read a few of his books in college as well as a very good Biography ("A man of Genius"). That man had more focus and passion in his little pinky than I do in my entire body.

Maybe you're only using the quote in the context of computer problems; even there it has some value. I think he used it to describe a mans faith and belief system. Specifically talk about a God and how he works or how he 'thinks'.

I am a little foggy now about his ideas. Maybe I should pick those books up again and read them.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:39 PM

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (1922), the concluding statement.
You are correct, it does in fact apply appropriately to computer problems, but obviously has a far wider horizon. I wish to say, however, that the statement should not be confused with the stance, say of A.J.Ayer.
Regards,
John

#7 Gerardmathews

Gerardmathews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:33 PM

Would you kindly suggest some reading material such that I could compare the distictions? I have now read some of A.J.Ayer but am not getting anywhere fast.

Something from both writers would be great. Secondary and Primary sources that work well together would be ideal, since I imagine both take some serious focus and time to get a feel for...

Edited by Gerardmathews, 03 February 2005 - 05:34 PM.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:15 AM

I was thinking here of Ayer's youthful "Language, Truth, and Logic" which has some "family resemblences" to Tractatus. Both writers seem to have abandoned the stances they took in these early works. Ayer is largely forgotten now, but Wittgenstein (even after the surge of interest here in America died down) still is current, perhaps because of some affinities with Heidegger and his relevance to hermenuetics.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users