Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Wondering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

Hey guys, Pretty soon before i return to school. I was planning to get an 8800 GTS 640mb with the money I made working during the summer.. But i just thought of one thing if it'll be compatible with my power supply. I lost my power supply box, and can't find much on it.. but i know the exact name of it. The power supply i am currently using is called
"500w Antec TruePower"... I read about the graphics card and saw that it needed atleast a 400w powersupply, but i dont know if i have the required plugs with this the PSU that I currently have equipped.. Thanks in advance for your gracious help.
~Roadblock!~ :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

It looks like that Antec should be good to go, it has the 6-pin connector that you will need.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

Unless the rest of your computer is up-to-par, with very new components, I would recommend getting something a little lower like an 8600GTS. I'll recommend this one: MSI 8600GTS
Unless you have a very good CPU and RAM, the 8800GTS will cause you to become CPU Bound. That article is a little wordy, so I'll sum it up for you. Basically, if the video card is much faster than the CPU, then when it finishes its computations, it will have to wait for the CPU to finish its own computations before moving on to the next computations. Effectively, the video card cannot reach peak performance because it has to wait for the processor to catch up. The 8600GTS is pretty versatile in processor range. I'm running one on a Pentium 4, you could easily run one on a Conroe.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 15 August 2007 - 05:18 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

Unless the rest of your computer is up-to-par, with very new components

Yeah check out my specs if u like in my profile, I got up to par stuff, build a pretty monstrous computer. Amd Dual core processor 6000+, i got 3gb of ram that run at 800mhz...... And thank you for the info Dc3 and ryan thanks for the suggestion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users