Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

now all my programs have .lnk extensions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pebbles

Pebbles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:17 PM

Hi...Looking for help, and according to Jeeves, someone else has posted a similar issue. I am new here, and haven't yet figured out how to access older postings.

Here is the problem. Two days ago, I sent some emails, checked the bank, all of the usual things I usually do online; I didn't visit any unusual or out of the oridinary sites. I did a virus scan just before turning off the computer, and everyhting came up clean.

When I returned to my computer later, I noticed that many of my program icons now had .lnk extensions. When I clicked on the one for my pc card, it asked to which program it should belong. I clicked the appropriate program, and now all the programs that were effected (INCLUDING SYSTEM RESTORE) go to that executable, instead of its own program.

Any suggestions; reformating would be such a pain since I have never done it before without some of my files from, saved on backups don't end up where they originally were...Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Pebbles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi Pebbles. Welcome to Bleeping Computer. Glad you're with us.
Hope this helps. Click here. Please read down the entire page and get the download link. Let us know if it worked.

~67~

#3 Pebbles

Pebbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:37 PM

Hi Pebbles. Welcome to Bleeping Computer. Glad you're with us.
Hope this helps. Click here. Please read down the entire page and get the download link. Let us know if it worked.

~67~

OK...I found the forum...went down to the last page and found directions for this problem with XP...However, I can't unzip any of the folders, because the zip program is also affected by this issue. I downloaded the zip file folder that is supposed to correct this, but when I try to do anything with it, I get a message saying that windows needs to know what program created it. If I go to the web, then I get a response, that there is no information on it. If I go to select the program manu and choose winzip executable, I can get the zip to open, but now when I try to unzip the other fixes, it says there is not program associated with it. I have no clue how to get around any of this. Most of the other solutions are not for xp...Any other suggestions?

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

And you already mentioned that your System Restore ability has been affected as well, is that right? It's a wonderful feature, as you know, if it was working.

Our other experts will be on soon as they have real day jobs too, :thumbsup: . Perhaps they have an idea as well. If I find anything more, I'll pass it along. This will sure be tricky seeing as many of your options are not working now. I have an idea but I'll check with the boss to see if it's safe to pass along to you. Hold that thought.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:06 PM

Pebbles, this is what I'd like for you to try:

Click here and follow the instructions for using Last Known Good Configuration.
Once you've done that, post back and let me know if it worked. I still have one more idea if it's needed. Remember to press and hold or tap the F8 key upon booting your computer to get to the Safe Mode, etc... options to get to Last Known Good Configuration.

Crossing my fingers for you....

Edited by TexasAngel67, 01 February 2005 - 05:07 PM.

#6 Pebbles

Pebbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:50 PM

Sorry, but starting the computer and going to last know good configuration didn't do anything...

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Have you tried to pick a date prior to all of this in system restore?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 Mical

Mical

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:55 AM

hey pebbles im sorry i missed the chat try this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q172053/

#9 Mical

Mical

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:52 AM

this one might have a fix for you too
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:57 AM

I don't know which windows version you are using.

start-->Run-->type cmd-->type ASSOC at the DOS console would give you a list of file associations used in winXP.
It might be helpful to you.

You also may want to consider the windows OS disk "repair" function if that is available to you.

Edited by phawgg, 02 February 2005 - 03:18 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#11 Pebbles

Pebbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:56 AM

Unfortunately, I tried all your sugesstions and I can't get beyond the box that asks where to find the program. I downloaded the fixes from one of the website, but I still can't get them to open, for same reason. I will keep trying...any other suggestions would still be appreciated. If all else fails, I guess I have to reformat the hard drive.

BTW, for those who asked, I am running XP Home edition...

However, to everyone offering assistance, believe me, I appreciate it it more than you could know!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Pebbles, 02 February 2005 - 08:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users