Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kevinhj

Kevinhj

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

a friend of mine has been stuck in safe mode.in order for her to access the internet she has to operate in safe mode.in normal mode ever address she enters windows says can not find server.her yahoo home page displays but not totally. different news clips, advertisements, video displays, etc., an "X" will display in the screen where a video should be. Talked to her ISP she was told that it has something to do with her java script, but why would that be??? WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Java script is programming that interacts with web sites. If she goes to the control panel and add/remove software she will see which one/s she has in there, if she doesn't have the 7.0 have her uninstall the others and then download the newest version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kevinhj

Kevinhj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

thanks dc3, sounds like a plan and good start. once she uninstalls old, where's 7.0 ????

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

You can download the latest version of Java from here:
Java SE Downloads

Download Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 2.
Uninstall older versions of Java, before installing the latest version.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

Sorry, I'm a little confused here. Just for clarification, when you said "java script" did you mean javascript? If so then it should already be part of the browser. If its disabled, then you will likely have trouble browsing, because so many sites use it. The question is, is javascript enabled in safe mode but not in normal mode, and if so, why? Can you re-enable it?
http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=23852

If you meant Java, then thats a programming language and "runtime environment" you can download from the link tg1911 provided.
I'm fairly confident you can browse much of the internet without this, so I'm not sure if this is the problem. On the other hand, its good to have, and if you do use it you should always have the latest version.

Edited by jhsmurray, 14 August 2007 - 03:17 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

I'm fairly confident you can browse much of the internet without this,

You are correct. I wasn't introduced to "Java" until I started using Firefox a couple years back.

#7 Kevinhj

Kevinhj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

[size="3"][/size]this young lady has a connection problem that i have become aware of, because i removed the JAVA RUNTIME programs but was unable to install new version in normal mode because windows cannot connect, her norton has expired which i beleive is creating a problem. cant do PC RESTORE, all points have expired. This is really beginning to be alot of fun. all advice is welcome and appreciated.....

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:53 AM

Many internet connection problems are caused by corruption of the Winsock settings. You can reset these by doing the following.

Log on as Administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: "cmd"
Type: "netsh winsock reset"
When it is finished you should receive the following message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot.

I can't say that this will actually fix the problem but it's worth a try.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users