Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newegg.com Optical Drive Replacement Search Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HelpDotMom

HelpDotMom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

:thumbsup:

FIRST: let me say: THANK YOU BLEEPING COMPUTER!!!! It's wonderfull to have a place to ask for help! & Thanks to newegg.com for listing a place for me to ask for help.

SECOND:

My son's college computer fell while the DVD ROM/R/RW ---- Compact highspeed re-writeable Disc drive was open. We took it to the Geek Squad to have it repaired.... the young man was extremely nice, suggesting that I order the part from newegg.com to save around $200.00 verses him sending the computer to the manufacturer [since that is best-buy's policy on gateway computers].

He wrote-down the lingo which I assumed would locate the exact part that I need to get for him to install it for us...... it didn't, and I'm too silly to know what I've found on newegg.com....

I have the notes he wrote: Model Number: MX6453 then the words: optical drive replacement -or- DVD Burner

:flowers:

This ALL seems wonderful & the young man was attempting to help me save money while fixing an accident.... but, I'm SO insecure over actually MAKING THE PURCHASE since it's mind boggling to me.

This is what I found... but, it says: DVD ROM

While my son's computer says: DVD ROM/R/RW

THE PART I FOUND WAS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...IDE+Combo+-+OEM

Sony NEC Optiarc Black 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE Combo - OEM

It LOOKS so much like it.... but, the /R/RW isn't on it. & it has me worried that maybe it wouldn't work with this gateway laptop......

PLEASE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

That drive will only read DVDs, but will burn CDs, if you want to burn DVDs you will need a DVD/RW like the ones shown here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 HelpDotMom

HelpDotMom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

Thank you! I am ordering the first one listed. I truly appreciate your time and trouble to find it and reply to me. :thumbsup:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users