Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Execution Prevention Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 djdilly

djdilly

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

Hello

I have an annoying problem will my computer and i would really appreciate some help with the matter.

When I go through My Computer and into my 2nd hard drive, I try to access the folders on this drive which contain music, videos etc. I can get into them fine, but after a few seconds the hour glass appears and then the following error message appears.

Below is a screen dump showing the error message. (external view needed, sorry!)

http://capitaldmedia.freesites.com/other_files/error.bmp

If anyone can help can you please help

Many thanks in advance

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

You may want to run a virus/malware scan, first off. http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

In the meantime, you can add an exception for Explorer.exe in Data Execution Prevention.

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.
3. In Performance Options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Add.
4. In the Open dialog box, locate and then click the program. (should be C:\Windows\explorer.exe)
5. Click Open, click Apply, and then click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK.
Posted Image

#3 djdilly

djdilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

hello again,

I have tried bot methods and neither seemed to work. The antivirus scanner found a virus but would not let me delete it with out purchasing the antivirus software (as i have AVG i didn't want to do this) And the other method did not have any effect on the problem.

Whenever i opened the window to apply the settings for the exceptions WIndows explorer was already there. So i removed it and added it again, restarted and the problem was still there.

The folders i cannot access are on the second hard drive within my system.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Both of the programs below are free for the home user and do an excellent job. Let us know the results of the scans, please.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users