Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

My friend has a custom built PC, and it freezes occasionally. He said yesterday it froze twice. When it freezes, the image on his monitor stays, and he cannot click or do anything with the keyboard. This forces him to press the button to restart.

His computer use to randomly shut off, but after he bought some new thermal paste it works fine and is much cool, so I don't believe its his processor. He just returned the motherboard, and got a new one, and it use to freeze on the old and now on the new one to.

This leads me to believe its his power supply. I'm not sure though and I want to be positive that it is so he doesn't waste a lot of money. The power supply he has is cheap, it came with the case. Here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811208008

Also, if it is the power supply can someone give me suggestions to some good ones. I was thinking around 400-500Watts, and hopefully nothing much more then 50$.

His specs:

Pentium D 2.8ghz. Upgrading to a C2D e6600

2gb DDR2 667 ram (2x1gb) Might eventually get 4 sticks of 1gb.

80gb sata hard drive

XFX nvidia geforce 8600GT.

Really nothing that power consuming. Any help is greatly appreciated!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

I would get speedfan and check the other temperatures to make sure it's not still a heat problem, and then if the temps are fine, go with a new powersupply. Just make sure you get a good one, more wattage does not necessarily = better. . .I have a 350 watt seasonic and it works great for my system.

Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

I would think that if it's the PS you would lose the signal to the monitor, though I could be wrong. Also $50 isn't going to get you a very good PS. I've been shopping for one myself
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

It could also be the motherboard. I had a similar problem and replacing the motherboard solved it. Apparently, there was some sort of manufacturing defect with mine. Mine would freeze if I ran anything that really stressed the CPU, such as games.

3939.png

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

It could also be the motherboard. I had a similar problem and replacing the motherboard solved it. Apparently, there was some sort of manufacturing defect with mine. Mine would freeze if I ran anything that really stressed the CPU, such as games.

That sounds like some sort of capacitor error to me, I had a mobo with a few popped ones, did things like that.

In other news, the seasonic cost around 50 I think. If you get only the wattage you need, I think you can make it with 50 dollars.

Posted Image

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153028

50$ after rebate

add 2 gigs of lame ddr2 for another 46$
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users