Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Books Would You Reccomend For Someone New To Programming?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:01 PM

I am new to the world of programming and would like to learn how to program. After reading through these forums I noticed that most people recommend C++ as a starting language. I was wondering what books you can recommend.

So far the O'Reilly books have been highly recommended by my friends.

Gr3y

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leon Siria

Leon Siria

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:32 AM

I am new to the world of programming and would like to learn how to program. After reading through these forums I noticed that most people recommend C++ as a starting language. I was wondering what books you can recommend.

So far the O'Reilly books have been highly recommended by my friends.

Gr3y

Try the Schaum's outline book on C++.I have read their book on C and found it helpful.

#3 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Accelerated C++, search it on amazon. Amazing book, includes the STL and all that shizz. Really highly recommended book.

#4 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

This is a really good one by Brian overland: C++ Without Fear: A Beginner's Guide That Makes You Feel Smart
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

#5 bad_mouse

bad_mouse

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

As someone who has been programming for a living for twenty years, I have to say that C++ sure is very powerful and popular, but the choice of programming language does depend a lot on what you want to do - if you just want to get a feel for what can be done you may be discouraged by tackling one of the most complex and demanding languages (in my humble opinion) straight off.

If you want to play around a bit and get some results right away, I suggest having a go at Javascript or VBA (Visual Basic for Applications). Both of these have the advantage that you can knock up a window with some fields and buttons that does something, and you dno't have to buy any software at all - just use your web browser and notepad.

You can also download free versions of development software from Microsoft, and from open source organisations (Eclipse, Netbeans).

Having said that, if you want to get seriously stuck in or make a career of it, I cannot recomend highy enough a visit to the programming books section of a bricks-and-mortar bookshop (or your library if it's big enough). If you do this you can check out the books on programming and choose one that has the right level of detail for you. (1200 pages of fine print versus 100 pages, lots of colour diagrams and step-by-step guides.) I find Amazon is good, but no comparison against actually doing a hands-on selection.

About six months ago I started on a Java beginners book that I found to be brilliant, it is "Head First Java". On the other hand you can get everything you need for Java (but not laid out so well and presented in such an interesting way), from the Sun developer website. Ok Java is as complex as C++ but when you are ready to move on then that book is a good place to start.

Whatever you do, do get good materials. Just ploughing through some manuals may put you off before you've gotten started. Also there are lots of courses available, many free on the web. Google an enjoy!

Edited by bad_mouse, 26 November 2007 - 04:38 PM.

Life is for living, Life is not a dress rehearsal, Carpe Diem!

#6 Marc2912

Marc2912

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

I recommend looking into Java, as some have said it is as complex as C++ though the syntax might be considered a little easier. Both being object oriented they have a lot in common. Your options with Java are I personally feel greater. Once you master the basics you can go any way you want ME,SE or EE. (mobile,standard or enterprise edition). You also need to get a book about OOP (object oriented programming). Understanding objects and how they work is the most important part of either of those languages.

Marc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users