Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files In My Documents Folder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alrp2199

alrp2199

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

I opened my documents folder lastnight and every file that was not saved into a folder is gone :thumbsup: . Hundreds of Word, Excel, and other files just gone. I've searched everywhere and found nothing. I tried System Restore but it was turned off when I ran a virus scan and I forgot to turn it back on. Is there any other way to restore these files? What would cause these files to just vanish? I ran two different spyware and ad ware programs and also a virus scan and came up with nothing. Any help or advice would be great. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:59 PM

You could give Recuva a shot. Scan your hard drive and it might find files that were deleted.

#3 alrp2199

alrp2199
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:09 PM

I tried the Recuva program but none of my files came up. Thank you for your advice that program will be helpful. If there was a glitch in my hard drive would that cause the files to be deleted? I have noticed that my pc is running louder than usual during the summer. Would the heat damage the hard drive?

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Extra ambient heat during the Summer shouldn't damage you PC if you keep it reasonably free from dirt and dust. It may sound louder if the cooling fans are temperature-controlled and need to spin faster to move more air to keep the electronics cooled to the same temperature as during the cooler seasons.

You can observe the CPU core temperature, the motherboard temp and possibly the hard drive temp using SpeedFan or Everest Home, both free. All temperatures should remain below 50C.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php SpeedFan

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html Everest Home

#5 alrp2199

alrp2199
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

I downloaded Speedfan and right now my hard drive is running at 53C and pretty quiet but it has been cooler here for a couple days. For now I am trying to copy as much of my data to CD as I can just incase this gets worse.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:28 PM

Hi alrp2199,

Sorry about your troubles. Try this http://www.undelete-plus.com/ it just might help.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users