Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Boot. Driver Problems?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Treize

Treize

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hi guys, got a big problem with my XP Pro SP2.

I recently installed a netgear WPN311 wireless PCI adapter card on my 5-year-old (but updated) Gateway. It worked great, until I went to Windows Update. I downloaded several updates, including one for my Sound Blaster Audigy card and IE7, which I didn't want to install anyway since I use FireFox. Now my computer is telling me I don't have any sound device connected, and whenever I try to boot Windows normally, it just keeps restarting and often freezing at the blue dot loading screen. I can't find the exact list of the updates from the Windows Update site, I think because I'm in safe mode (with networking). I tried verifier.exe to see what drivers are or are not working, but I don't really know how to use it. Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

Treize

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

The best bet would be to use the rollback feature in windows xp. Run your device manager, expand the device group of the type of device(s) that are giving you problems, right click on the actual device, click properties, click the driver tab, then click roll back driver, and follow the directions.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 leran

leran

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

Superantispyware comes with an option on switching modes on your computer, such as (Save mod and normal mod).

Ofc don't tack this advise before anyone else can say this is right, am not the expert here :thumbsup:
Games:Games:Games|and ofc MORE games.

#4 Treize

Treize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

I tried to roll back the sound driver, but it said I have the most current one. I'm still in safe mode though, so I don't know if that's accurate because I can't get into Windows Update and see the one that I downloaded. I did run Norton AntiVirus 2007, Ad-Aware and Spybot when this started happening and didn't find anything. Is there a way to uninstall or roll back IE7? I don't know if that's the main problem but it might help me get into Update.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

You should be able to uninstall IE7 through the control panel Add/remove programs.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hi Treize. In Safe Mode open up System Restore and roll back to the day or so before you installed the updates and drivers. This will un-do the updates and put back the old drivers.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

#7 Treize

Treize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

It won't let me delete ANYTHING from the Add/Remove list, and IE7 isn't showing up anyway. I did perform a system restore to two days before I installed these updates, but windows still won't boot normally, it just keeps restarting at the loading screen. I probably will have to format and reinstall :-(

#8 leran

leran

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:29 AM

If your computer just restarts and wont let you in on windows, then what can you do? if you have the windows Cd then maybe you can find some options on it, i can input my windows Cd when the computer starts up i would think you can do the same then. Also you can use msconfig way to get it out of save mod, start button,Run type(msconfig) but it on normal start up and turn of boot save.

Edited by leran, 15 August 2007 - 06:48 AM.

Games:Games:Games|and ofc MORE games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users